Questions for those in recovery or getting better

Posted , 14 users are following.

Those of you who are getting better, in recovery or feel that you're fully recovered I'd like to ask how you did it? What helped you the most? What do you recommend?

You are very important people to us because you're our teachers!

Also those of you who want to ask them questions please do. We could get some good recovery dialogue going here. razz

3 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I am getting better by taking antidipressant medicine and self hypnosis. I was very serverely suffered for 10 years from my age of 20 to 30.  Then I got a job and married in 1998.  Now I have got one daughter 13 years old. I am much better and I can manage with medicine and self hypnosis.
    • Posted

That's so uplifting Joe! I'm interested in self-hypnosis and I've thought about doing a course. Is it easy to do? It's such a fascinating therapy. Are there any good websites that you recommend? (If they let you post them!). If they don't you could perhaps just say the name of the website.

Would you mind telling us how it helps you? I really don't know much about it.

• Posted

In the last couple of months I've gained back some strength. Things that were difficult before, even just brushing my teeth, I've found easier. I was mostly housebound and even very short walks were tough going (we're talking 50 yards). Now once a week I've been going shopping with my wife and also a bit of walking during the week. It's still very slow going, there hasn't been any miraculous recovery, but we have noticed a difference in my ability.

What I'm currently doing:

CoEnzym Q10

Viridian Hi Five B-Complex

Ashwagandha

Cod Liver Oil

I recently visited a master herbalist (just this last weekend) and she has given me something callled Super Food which is a mixture I take with a small amount of fruit juice in the morning. Also a mixture of herbs which i take twice a day which is to help my gut, headaches and help with energy. This is all new but my head has been better this week and also my gut.

Out of all the brews and potions I've tried, the best two things have been rest, and mindfulness meditaion for relaxation. The problem is that for the resting part, I mean the ability to completely rest day in, day out for a long period of time. For the last 7 months I've been able to wake up every day and dedicate myself to resting and improving. I think this is where we find it hard to reach any sort of recovery. If you have young kids or have to keep working, how can you afford this type of rest.

I'm lucky in that my work and family have been very supportive. I would go as far to say that if my work hadn't of been so supportive, I would have left and we would have found a way financially to manage. Its a massive luxury that a lot of people won't have, but I believe this is the one reason I am improving.

• Posted

I'm so pleased that you're showing improvements Bob! I'm very big on herbs; I even took two Herbalism courses Which herbs did the Master Herbalist suggest? I may know of them but I'm always open to trying new ones if I haven't heard of them.

I'm wondering how you manage to meditate, doesn't it make you fall asleep, do you sit in a particular posture or do it lying down? I used to meditate a lot before I got Me but now it's just too difficult to get into that frame of mind. I wish I could do it.

I'm going to look up Viridian High 5 B-Complex. I take it from the doctor along with Thiamine but your variety might be better. I take those other things already.

It's great that you're out walking; I long for that day! Excellent that your work is so supportive. Thanks for sharing with us. razz

• Posted

With difficulty on the meditating front but I'm getting better. The Mindfulness practise is more gentle I find and I do it either sitting or laying. I just follow some practises on Youtube.

I'll try to get a list. She wasn't very specific. Just tailored a mixture specifically for my needs.

So what is your situation? Are you housebound at the moment?

• Posted

Yes I'm housebound and virtually bed bound, I have been for nearly 10 years. But I'm somewhat better than I used to be and very optimistic for my recovery. biggrin
  • Posted

First one hypno therapist he is also psychiatrist taught me 3 days how to do it. Then he recorded the commands in a audio casettee.  I followed this instruction for quit sometime.  Now I am practicing the self  confidence; 17 minutes;  published by 'The Honest Guys'.  You can also download the same from youtube.
    • Posted

Georgia you can also try a longer one 'Assisting your own healing.' and 'Self love - Body Healing - Guided Meditation Change your life.' by Louise Hay;
    • Posted

Thanks! I did one of the TheHonestGuys' meditations yesterday and at one point I started giggling, through feeling joyful! lol
    • Posted

This should be practiced daily in empty stomach in the morning before breakfast and in the evening before supper in a room without disurbance of any noise and with dim light.
    • Posted

Thank you, I used to use oil lamps, glass jars with wicks burning vegetable oils because I'm allergic to shop candles and beeswax ones are expensive.

I listened to Loise Hay's one earlier and it's really good. What she was saying about mums and dads hurting us and imagine them as children and holding them is relevant to me as I've been in the process of forgiving them for a few years. Excellent!

• Posted

Does anyone here follow a gluten free diet? I have read Thst many sufferers if CFS can be gluten intolerant.
    • Posted

I tried for a short time and don't think it was especially beneficial. Now I just eat bread and pasta occasionally.

My diet is zero alchohol and caffiene, low sugar and very low processed food intake.

• Posted

I'm going to give it a try Bob. Had a long talk with my brother who has never been diagnosed with CFS but has all the same symptoms as me! Whever he gives up gluten, he feels better. As we are related, we might both be gluten intolerant so I am going to give it a try for a month to see if it makes an difference to the CFS. I've nothing to lose!😳
    • Posted

I've been giving the gluten free diet a go for several weeks. I don't know if it's related because I'm also doing other healthy things but I haven't had any bloating for a while, or diarrhea. I feel pretty good so I'm giong to keep it up and see what happens.

The good thing is that supermarkets offer quite a few gluten free products. I want to get back into making my own flat or soda bread (haven't for some time), and I have gluten free flour. I've been getting recipes from the BBC Good Food Guide and adjusting them to my needs.

• Posted

And so many people are allergic to gluten these days! Keep us posted on how you go with it. biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.