Questions on hip revision

Posted , 8 users are following.

my grandfather had his first THR in 2003, he had his revision done at the end of January 2018. he spent a few days in the hospital went to rehab for a week and this past monday he was with a fever, readmitted back to the hospital with a strept infection. he was fever free this past friday and most of saturday, now back to 101 fever. the wound was reopned and flushed out this pst tuesday, a PICC line was put in on wednesday . any ideas? is this typical for a hip revision done posteriorly?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Having been a home health nurse for the past 20 years I can tell you this does happen. Sometimes we would even have to put a wound vac on the opened incision, but mostly just IV antibiotics. Some Dr's are now having the patients use a antibacterial soap on the hip and leg area for a few days prior to surgery. This seems to cut down on the post op infections but not 100%. It will take him a couple of weeks of IV antibiotics and if there is a home health agency in your area that does IV therapy I would contact them so he can be in the comfort of his own home and heal faster.

• Posted

Whatever approach is used 💩

image happens .... I am sure that with good care and antibiotics, he'll be fine.

• Posted

Ooh that came out odd ....

Whatever approach is used 'poo' happens .... I am sure that with good care and antibiotics, he'll be fine.

• Posted

I don't think your grandfather's situation is typical, no.

But it seems like he might have a low-grade infection ... When there is a big infection, the surgeons usually remove the hip temporary and put in a temporay device called a "spacer." And then they treat the body aggressively for like 8 weeks or so ... and then put in a new device ...

Hopefully your grandfather does not have a serious infection. Sounds like surgeons are really reacting quickly to the problem.

• Posted

**** UPDATE****

Hip revision done january 29, 2019... grandfather went to rehab february 1, 2019... literally the day before he was supposed to go to home from rehab he wound up back in the hospital february 11, 2019, wound reopened surgically on february 12, 2019. PICC line done february 13, 2019. Returned to rehab february 19, 2019. Theory was that hed be home on march 28 at the earliest and at the latest april 1st 2019.

As of today, 2 more weeks on antibiotics, possibly getting revision hardware removed and something placed that may be plastic... anyone have any ideas? they think infection was dormant from neck fusion from 4 years ago. any ideas? any help would be appreciated? we are in the U.S.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.