Questions, ppi - rebound - did they work at all?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor wants me to go on ppi for 4 - 8 weeks. Nothing else seems to be working, lifestyle changes and otc pills etc. etc. Of course I don't want to touch ppi - I understand that I need to go off slowly, but what I don't understand is how do you distinquish between if the pills worked or if the pain/heartburn will be from the rebound?

The other thing is, if it turns out to be from hiatal hernia, then it's either staying on ppi forever, or having surgery? It seems that there are no alternatives?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi gilda

​i was taken off ppi after 5 months after i had my follow up endoscopy coz the gastroenterlogist said my Barrets was negligible by then....that was 18 months ago...(my symptons are slowly returning (though not as bad before and i know how to control them ) but i was not weaned off them and i had no side effects ...but then again i never had heartburn nor get it now...my symptons are severe chest pains which go between my shoulder blades.

I was told no hernia

• Posted

How r are controlling them?

I had shoulder pain to but if I try to massage it - it feels more like muscle pain - but I have bad heartburn - I can't believe 6 weeks ago I was drinking coffee - eating everything- was under enormous stress but can't believe this caused this unrelenting heartburn

• Posted

when the chest starts getting tight i take eno's fruitsalts.....a heaped teaspoon in not a lot of water...i drink it while it is still efferevescing...that makes me burp and i will repeat 20 mins later if i have to ..at bedtime i take Gaviscon Advance ... sometimes i take a couple of panadols as well....

?have you been to a gastroenterlogist?

• Posted

could well be ..no cure just painklers which you could try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.