Questions re: pain mgmt. Day 6 post rotator cuff repair and open tenodesis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am hoping to gather some thoughts on length of need for narcotic pain relief post surgery.  I tend to try and keep a stiff upper lip regarding pain.  I was told to take my pain meds on a schedule and to not wait for the pain to become unbearable to take the meds.  But as I am now on Day 6 - I have begun to try and cut back.  I am still hurting and just don’t know how long it is reasonable to give myself permission to take the narcotic pain relief.  The NSAIDs alone are not effective.  I am in an immobilized sling, also had extensive debridement for calcium deposits and acromioplasty.  I am icing and doing the pendulums and finger and wrist flexing.  Would appreciate hearing your experiences.  I just don’t want to be so tough on myself that in retrospect I learn is actually detrimental and pointless.  Also would like to hear any pearls of wisdom regarding recovery path.  This has been my fourth major operation in three months - on the others I only used pain meds for 1-2 days post op - but this one seems different.  This has been a lot.  Thanks!

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First - Hang in there!  I feel your pain... or  I Felt your pain as it were!

I had the same surgery. But  I haven’t had three surgeries in such a close amount of time. That’s brutal. So sorry you’re going through this. I too hated taking those medications cause they made me sick so I only took them for three days. I don’t know what your protocol is as far as pendulums? I don’t know if those are a good idea some doctors prescribe them mine did not he said absolutely no movement for six weeks except for hand and wrist while in the sling. Never to take it off except for when I’m being washed. That might be the extent of why you’re in so much pain. I think pendulum swings are something they did a long time ago they’re not as common now because the site needs to heal.

But the pain.. omg  I was crying the first 3-4 weeks!

And that damned immobilizer thing..  I hated it! 

I’m 13 weeks post op & still need to take ibuprofen... PT pushed me yesterday and was painful last night.

Trust me as  I was told by many on this site- it will get better. It’s just a brutal slow healing surgery 

• Posted

Take it as long as you need it. 6 days is not very long. Keep ahead of the pain and as you heal the pain will get less as will the need for meds. It is not a simple surgery and it is a painful one. It just depends on your tolerance for pain.
  • Posted

Stop doing the pendulums also, it is way to early for that. I didn't start until I was out of my immobilizer.

• Posted

I think that you should take pain relief for as long as you need it. In week 2, I am taking it at night and before physical therapy.  In between, I have been ok with nothing or tylenol alone although you need to keep track of how much tylenol you are taking and drink lots of water!! I also learned to take chelated magnesium to battle the headaches that I was getting. 

Take it easy on yourself,  I know a few people who have had surgery and who took pain killers. None became addicts. My friend who had hip surgery followed by a tumor removed from her lung believes that if you are in pain, the drug goes to the pain rather than to the part of your brain that gets you addicted 

PS: My doctor says that there are studies that show that NSAIDS may actually get in the way of your recovery. I was told not to take them for 6 weeks. 

• Posted

Thanks to all of you for taking time to respond. The reassurance from you is especially helpful as you are or have lived the circumstance.

for any who had a becip tenodesis - did you experience any significant swelling and bruising in your bicep area?  Mine is bruised...especially tender and bruised just about two fingers width above inner bend of elbow and when out of sling and allowing arm to hang for a minute by gravity (Rx by MD), there is a big lump that looks like i am flexing my bicep (I’m not), the whole area is in various stages of bruising...withe the bend area appearing as an active bruise.  Last night it awoke me with throbbing stabbing pains in that area, such that i took pain relief twice through the night.  Is this a normal part of this aspect of this part of the surgery?  

• Posted

I didn't have bicep surgery. I'm hoping that my bicep improves from the rotator cuff surgery that  did have because it was plenty. I hope that you surgeon can answer this for you. That sounds like the kind if thing that you should definitely ask about.

I'm only a few days ahead of you and have been noticing a lot of odd twinges, Lurking this forum has eased my mind quite a bit about what is normal. It seems like the anxiety can be as bad as the surgery and lack of a good nights sleep. 

• Posted

Your whole description sounds identical to my own. I’m 4 weeks, 2 days and 12 hours post surgery but who’s counting?

For me, the Codine was decent for the pain but I only had a few before having to switch to Percocet which had no beneficial help for me. Only effects were constipation, fever sweats and dizziness. At least I blamed them and so decided to stop taken on night 6 to see how I got on. It’s easy to find yourself waiting for pain but mine never hit a point that I started to take again though some rough nights trying to sleep this week have left me very sore. I think we all have different pain thresholds so no right/wrong I just don’t want that junk in me unless absolutely necessary. 

I have found the arm exercises have helped me. Sometimes if I get lucky enough to catch a bit of sleep my arm/ shoulder feels sore but if I do some of the exercises I’ve found it helps to ease it off. 

The “imobiliser” is a torture. I hate it with a passion. 

I too had the bulge on bicep and bruising as if running down vein from shoulder into arm. After four weeks just about gone but a small bump remains. 

I only found these forums this morning after a miserable nights sleep, or more lack of. I had made mistake of thinking for last week that I could lie down, all be it propped up and sleep. Bad idea. Seems most folk go a minimum 6-8 weeks before even starting to try this. Again I’m sure down to individual but at least these threads are reassuring to know the misery is not unique to us but just the norm. 

Keep soldiering on. 

• Posted

6 days is not too long to take pain meds.  Your surgeon will  not give you more than you can handle.  There are addictive personalities that can become very addictive to pain meds very easily, but I agree with another poster in that it seems when  you are in pain and need relief, it is less likely you will become addicted to it.  Try not to worry too much.  The first time I had shoulder surgery I took them on and off for 3 months.  At 3 months the doctor shot some cortisone in there and it completely relieved my pain.  I never took another pain pill nor did I feel like I needed too.  Now I'm 12 weeks post op for a revision  surgery.   I took pain pills for 2 days.  Yes it hurts, but it's bearable.  Once in a while if PT is rough I'll  take one.  You have a lot on your plate, give yourself a break.   

• Posted

Hello Again to All,

Appreciate the additional words of wisdom!  I think I was being too hard on myself and have tried hard ice more and stay on ibuprofen. Finding that evening/night that isn’t sufficient, but with taking a dose of medication it eases discomfort enough for a few hours of sleep (propped in sitting position of course).

Martin - good to know the bicep thing settles down!  I worried that it might have been the “Popeye deformity/defect”, so now can hope it is just edema related to the sgy.  Yesterday was a bit of a tough day, but after watching a particularly helpful series of videos online from a lady similar in age and circumstance, i have realized this ordeal is going to require quite a bit more patience than I had planned.  As my surgeon had not expected things to be so extensive as they ended up being - i think I am just trying to catch up mentally and physically to the new reality and course of recovery.  Thank goodness for this sight and for the support this type of sharing provides!

Woke this AM and think perhaps the bicep area not so dreadfully tender as yesterday, so will celebrate that win for today!

Wishing all of you a day of healing with incremental improvement smile

• Posted

Off to see the surgeon shortly for my 6 week post op review. Still aches, so be interested to get the professional view. I stopped wearing my immobilizer at night last week, against instruction. I just couldn't stand it any longer. Has actually helped with sleep, though still not fantastic, lots of waking but definitely the best since op. Not recommending this, just relaying.

• Posted

Hi Martin,

Hoping your appt goes well today - will be interested in your update as you are about three weeks ahead of me...I wont come out of immobilizer til 6/7.  My PT told me I will still want the sling part, minus the abductor pillow, for quite some time for intermittent support pending activity or length of day.  This certainly is a process that requires patience!!!  Good Luck!

• Posted

Seems I'm on track. Not sure if I should frame the imobilizer or have a ceremonial burning of it? 6 weeks now of limited use, lifting nothing over 5lb and physio sessions start Tuesday.

He tells me the aches are normal and will continue to subside. I have confidence in him so will keep soldiering on, no option really.

• Posted

I wore mine for a little while when I  went out.  I considered it my idiot deflector!  haha   So afraid someone would bump into me.
    • Posted

Hah!  I think that is a perfect description!
    • Posted

good to hear all is well!  Hang in there with the new adventures I’m sure PT will bring.  Wish you the best!
    • Posted

I am on a similar timeframe as you, ED2018, will be out of my sling 6-8-18.  would like to follow your progress if you dont mind! my surgery was rotator cuff, SLAP tear and bicep tendon repair.  thanks and good luck! still typing one handed so my words are few.  lol

• Posted

Hi Rannap,

The more the merrier!!! smile...They also repaired my labrum and debrided about 3 cm of calcium...so had the works.  This week I continue on with antibiotics, NSAIDS, PROM with PT and am really sore...still dealing with swelling in the bicep area...but more lower and more towards the inside of my arm than where bicep should be.  All my skin on that arm is really flaky, too.  I’m sure relates to healing.  Good luck with your healing and dont hesitate to reach out...nice to have someone on the same timeline.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.