Questions to those who've had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am going in for keyhole surgery this month to remove a 9 cm cyst on my right ovary. I have a few question related to the people who had surgery to remove a cyst. 

Beforehand, did you find you were gaining weight around your waist? Was it difficult to lose this weight. Once the cyst was removed did you lose inches and weight? 

Did you have a keyhole surgery? If so, how long did it take to recover. Did they burst the cyst before removal?

Did the doctor have any idea when the cyst started to grow? 

If you can think of anything else that you think may be useful information, please let me know!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have a 7 cm one on right ovary.  I have to wait for surgery they think it could go away. Yeah right. I'm extremely bloated in stomach area n have gained weight in waist line.  I'm also feeling pain n tightness in there.  Sorry I don't have any answers about surgery keep me updated bc I have to get probally in October.  Hope u make out ok. Hugs. Feel better fast recovery. 

• Posted

I had a cyst removed about a year ago.  They ended up taking a Fallopian tube and finding some endometriosis that they had to clean up.  Yes, I felt very bloated before surgery.  I also felt a tightness around the waistline where you would button up your jeans.  It was so uncomfortable.  That did get better after surgery, but the bloating took a little while to go down.  It would have only taken me 2-3 weeks to recover but I ended up developing cysts on the other ovary almost immediately after.  I began using progesterone cream and they have stayed manageable.  Best of luck.  It's really not that bad!!!

• Posted

Keyhole surgery is not a major op, you will soon recover, I had cyst plus ovary and tube removed, lots of adhesions, plus had a prolapse repair at the same time. The laparoscopy was the easy part.
  • Posted

Just to update: I just got back from the doctor and she said my CS125 test was at 19 which is apparently normal. I said to her I thought below 10 is normal. She said 'You're thinking of something else'. It seems she is a psychic in addition to being a doctor. Anyway, my stomach has gotten huge since I posted last and my skin is starting to feel tight like when I was pregnant. In fact I look 7 months pregnant! I am having real difficulty having normal bowel movements and have to urinate every 20 or 30 minutes - sometimes every 10 minutes. I feel tired and have had a constant headache for 3 days and it doesn't matter how much advil I take. I just feel icky and sick. 

My surgery is Oct 23 - in about 3 weeks. I dread laying around for even a week. I don't want to be a burden and feel like I don't deserve to be looked after. Maybe that's how I got this thing in the first place - always stressing out about other people and not taking care of myself. 

She said they'll do a biopsy on the spot and send it off to an oncologist, I imagine, during the surgery to have it tested before they close me up. 

Right now I'm just scared. I want to cry. Everyone is saying don't worry, but I'm still afraid. I don't even have life insurance if something were to happen to me. 

• Posted

Hi,

I just had my third surgery on the 4th of September. My first one (oct 2007)was to remove the cysts on my ovaries and a dermoid. The second (16 nov 2016) was to remove a 23cm dermoid on my right ovary (ended up losing the ovary)that could be felt when lying down and standing up. It was pressing on my other organs aswell.I took a pic of before and after I wish I could post on here?. Lost weight fine after that. Fast forward to about may/June 2017 had a few pains but I was in Europe and had to wait to get checked out at home. Was sick from July up until September where I had a scan and it showed yet another dermoid and more cysts. Urgent surgery came after.

My main symptoms were dull pains on my sides, sharp pains shooting and the fact you could feel one of them (2nd op).

Had to have multiple scans - ultrasounds, transvaginal and cat scans.

First op - about 2-4 weeks recovery (c section cut)

Second op - 8 weeks but should've been about 10 weeks recovery (major surgery as the dr had to open me right up so I have a scar running down my stomach)

Third op - still recovering (almost 4 weeks post op) lower c section cut. 

-never had key hole surgery as my complaints were too complicated sad.

My second op the dermoid was so huge he had issues getting it out and it burst as he removed it.

• Posted

So basically it took only 7 months for the most recent to grow? Correct? That, or the doctor was blind.

I hope you're doing better.

I don't want another to grow back. I'm thinking it's got to be a high sugar diet or environmental factors such as estrogen-like ingredients in some products we're using that triggers these cysts. There are just so many posts on here. It seems very widespread.

It wasn't the surgery, per se, that was stressful but all the bs eith the doctors. I really didn't like my surgeon but she got the damn thing out.

Now I need to work on lifestyle changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.