Questran

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone takes Questron and if so

does it help you to eat fatty foods better and do you get any side effects ?

Dr as just prescribed it for me but I only get diarrhoea if I eat

higher fat .

Just hoping it doesn't cause more bloating and cramps . !!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Linda,  Do you mean Questran?  What form is it in?  Normally, it comes in a packet that you mix with applesauce or juice and drink each evening.  The purpose of Questran (which is a resin) was to absorb cholesterol in the diet.  So, no doubt it will absorb some fat.  However, it was discovered later on that it also bound itself to, or absorbed, other substances, such as bile.  That's made it particularly useful, and its medical applications have grown.  

Originally, those prescribed it were told to mix a dose and take it before each meal.  My gastroenterologist told me to mix it with 6 ounces of orange juice and take it each evening.  That worked initially, but over the years, since I've begun to take it, I've had to modify my diet, so now take 1/3 of a dose each evening.  It's important to be disciplined about how you take it initially.  The body needs routine.  But you can work with it, I hope, and I hope it helps you.  Best of luck! xxx

• Posted

Hi Lynda yes I do mean Questran , it's in powder .

Do you find it helps with cramping ? I've been up since 4am with cramping

and diarrhoea and I've barely eaten . Gastroenterologist said to take it in the mornings . Do you get any side effects from it ? Thanks for your help xx

• Posted

Yes, it can help with cramping, but only if you take it consistently.  I am not a doctor, but my opinion is your gastroenterologist has it wrong.  Bile has to have food to "work on." If you're eating during the day, the "danger" occurs at night, because you're no longer eating, but still manufacturing bile. I was told to take mine at bed time.  

I mix mine with an organic papaya nectar which is a mix of various fruit juices. About 6 ounces of liquid, 1/2 water and 1/2 juice.  Mix it in a small bottle and shake it up till it blends. Drink it lukewarm.  That's because cold liquids can induce cramping, especially if your intestines have been traumatized for a long time.  

If you're taking substances such as digestive enzymes or ox bile, or even vitamins, stop.  Find a good probiotic and take it with your noon meal. I believe that too much bile destroys the bacterial balance needed for digestion.  Questran will bind any other medication you have been prescribed and render it useless. So if you take prescription meds take them 1 hour before you take the Questran. 

You also need to rebuild the contents of your intestines.  I made a mixture of white rice (2 cups), drained canned organic chicken (3-4 ounces) and chicken broth.  Ate about a cup, slowly, every 3-4 hours.  Did that over a period of 4 days till stuff calmed down.

Then I started the brat diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. I can eat butter from grass fed cows, so I use it on my toast.  A certain amount of fat is necessary to enable absorption of nutrients. I use a dab of butter, olive oil or coconut oil for cooking.  I eat low fat meats, no sausage, or bacon.  When you try out a vegetable, try it in very small amounts.  

Eventually, you'll be able to incorporate more foods in your diet.  I still use Immodium from time to time, but I don't take it daily.  

Try to have confidence that you'll be able to figure out what works for you.  It takes at least 3-4 days before the Questran starts to help.  Right now, because of the excess bile, your body's processing food at an alarming rate.  It should take about 3 days for the food you eat to move through your digestive system.  Right now, you're not getting the nutrition you need because everything you eat is zooming through.  

Best of luck to you.  xx 

• Posted

Thanks Lynda , The papaya nectar sounds lovely , unfortunately

I can't drink anything acidic .Can't eat chicken either as I find it

upsets my stomach .

Anyone else taking Questran ? Would love to hear others experiences .

• Posted

Papaya nectar isn't acidic.  It's one of the reasons I drink it!  If you can't eat chicken, you could try small flakes of lean pork.  Good luck to you! xx

• Posted

But have you been confirmed with gall stones?    I had cholesterol type stones that were dissolved with Ursodioxycholic acid tabs as a course for a year!

Two years = no symptoms as before and confirmed ultrasound saw 5 stones  May be two now biggest 10 mm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.