questran-anyone have stomach ache after starting this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have colitis (controlled at present), ibs-d, & just been diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption & been prescribed questran(colestyramine). I started with 1 sachet daily 1st week, then 2 sachets daily (am & pm) from week 2. In the leaflet it does say side effects can be more wind(tick), bloating (tick), constipation (not had) & sometimes stomach ache(tick). & these usually disappear with continued use of this medicine. Although there are some positive effects, I have almost constant stomach ache from the waist down, like a dull ache which worsens & eases without reason but never completely goes. I suspect this is just a temp side effect, but wondered if anyone else had this when starting questran (colestyramine)? Did it disappear the longer you continue with this med? If so, how long was it before it eased off? I was hoping to go back to work in next few weeks, but am worried about this dreadful stomach ache hindering matters. Any comments, advice, experience of this welcomed..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm going to be starting on questran in the near future as I have been diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption as a side effect of my cholestectomy (how ever you spell it) so would also be interested to hear people's responses and how you are doing looloo x
    • Posted

Hi emmacarrie & maggie. i started 1st wk of questran 1 sachet day, & for several days had a bit less diarrhea, & stomach went really quiet calm-no gurgling,squeaking, fizzing , bubbling like it normally does, so was quite hopeful of further progress when going upto 2 sachets daily. sadly the progress didnt continue, & i had worse stomach ache than before & bm's not much better. I read the leaflet & it said for diarrhea normal dose is 3-6sachets daily, so I thought nothing to lose by going upto 3 a day(i'd done wk2 on 2 sachets). Today I have done 2 sachets together am, & 1 sachet pm. The stomach ache has greatly reduced & i've only had 2 normal bm's today & no diarrhea, so perhaps I was prescribed too low a dose. I will carry on with 3 for a week & see how I get on. Maggie- thanks for your advice on the alternative if I don't get long term relief from questran. I went for this one first purely because I can take my other meds 1hr before or 4hrs after, the colesevelam is 4hrs either side & I thought this could get tricky timing wise especially as I am hoping to return to work soon if the meds help me enough. If I cant get on with the questran I'll have to try the capsules. thanks again.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption recently after suffering IBS(D) for over 20 years.  My Connsultant said it is caused by having my gall bladder removed and the bile acid dripping stright into my lower interstine and speeding up the evacuation of food recently eaten.  I have been prescribed Colesevelam (625mg) daily after my evening meal. What a difference it has made. Feel like I have my life back.  Having researched the subject it seems that tummy cramps/wind are quite common with Questran.  if it doesn't settle soon I would ask your conssultant if you could change.  It has made such a difference to me. Good luck

• Posted

maggie, please see the reply i sent to emmacarrie under this post heading as it's for both of you! thankyou.
  • Posted

I was the "lucky one" that had severe symptoms after the 3rd day. I drink coffee and nothing out of the ordinary. After a cup, my stomach started to hurt. I took Tums, then pepto bismol, then activated charcoal, the pepto and AC 2x. Nothing helped. The pain waxed and waned. Around 7:30pm, it went from a 7/10 to an 8/10 and I felt nauseous. I told my boyfriend I couldn't walk our dogs, I needed to go to urgent care. Thankfully, he gave me a container in case I vomited. Vomit, I did, while driving on my way to an urgent care that was closed for Sunday eves. Nothing was open and no Nurse Direct. I wasn't going to pay for the ER so I put a heat pack on my stomach and did sleep. Today I feel like I'm hung over, I threw out the colestyramine. Never again. In Wisconsin, our health care is so stellar that even calling on a Monday to leave a voicemail for my GI doc's nurse got me nothing more than a generic call back. No info. I hope now that I am no longer taking it I've done no permanent damage. It raises your acidic level, cancer is always in an acidic body. F**k that. This is not good stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.