Quetiapine....3 days and stopped

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was taking 50mg of Q for sleeptlessness and anxiety. It did absolutely nothing for my sleep, no change and I was told by psych and pharmacy that it would be immediate.  For the last two nights my heart rate was very rapid and every time I tried to fall asleep, my heart would race and wake me up.  I haven't slept the last 2 nights.  Does anyone know if Q makes the heart beat, I read it can and do the side effects happen that quickly.  I feel fairly calm in my thoughts at night but just can't pass into sleep without the waking up which I'm told is trychardia  spelling?? 

Saw pharmacist yesterday and explained  the no sleep and she said to stop.  Waiting to hear from the psych.  

Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Less is more sometimes with this drug, try 25mg first. I used 25 for a year and it worked great, but started to loose its effectiveness so I moved up to 37mg. Im 6ft, 204lb male. It helps me go to sleep and stay a sleep for 6-7 hours. 

It sounds to me like you just have anxiety about sleeping, I used to as well, its not the medicines fault, but our fault as we have built up a fear of not sleeping... try to get yourself over that fear, remind yourself that life goes on if you dont sleep, you will of course make through the next day etc. 

Hope this helps. 

J

• Posted

50mg is quite a low dose but I would expect it to have some sedating effect. I take 300mg in the morning and the same at night but it's for treating schizophrenia and it does have very sedating effects. I can hardly function at all during the day and have no problem sleeping at night at all, which is the upside. It might be worth asking to increase the dose to, say, 100mg at night.

I've never experienced heartbeat issues with it but I do know it has quite a few side effects and tiredness is just one of those side effects that affect me. I think you need to have another chat with the doctor, there are other medicines that can help. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.