Quetiapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have just been prescribed Quetiapine and I'm worried about putting on weight. I'm faidly heavy already and I already take lithium, amisulpiride and duloxetine. The Quetiapine is to eventually replace the duloxetine and amisulpiride. 

Any my advice on weight gain and how good this drug is would help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am on 300mg of quetiapine and I take it before I go to bed as it helps me sleep but if I don't go straight to bed I want to eat the contents of the fridge so yes I would say, it can make you put on weight
    • Posted

How long have you been taking this drug, and does it help? Is it as good as the doctors say. 
  • Posted

I have been on quetiapine for a couple of years trying different doses 300 suits me best I am a really bad sleeper so it helps with that, it helps with my self harm thoughts it kind of levels you out its not perfect but yes I think it helps your moods but I have to fight the urge to eat to much

• Posted

These comments are interesting because i am taking 75mgs that i now take in divided doses 3 times a day (lightweight dose compared with others) and my weight has crept up since last May.I am careful about diet,don't snack and go to the gym twice a week 30mins each time cos i hate it but i do make myself go.I'm just about managing to keep weight steady but i have noticed my whole metabolism seems to have slowed down  to virtually non existence !!! Gp says my numerous questions about weight gain is related to quetiapine but to think of the positives being on it !!!!! Well, i guess sleeping more hrs than i can shake a stick at counts as positive and not being in the bad place i was this time last year is definately a positive so good luck x
  • Posted

i have been on this for about 3 months. I have gained about 20lbs. Its insane. The Pros are it helps me sleep 25mg x2 at night. And it has helped extremely well with anxiety and panic attacks. Can anyone else suggest a different drug that has these pros but not gain weight?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.