Quetiapine - Can it make depression worse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on Quetiapine for the last two weeks (as a 'booster' to the antidepressant that I'm on).  At first I felt better, however this may have been my antidepressant kicking in, but now I feel much worse.  Can Quetiapine worsen your mood?  I take 50mg twice a day.  I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi all i can say at this moment is to hang on in there. I am on 40 mg Fluoxetine and 100 mg quetiapine 2x daily it took about 6 weeks to feel better, i was in a bad way rearly, thought their was no hope for me didnt want to live. I to have been suffering with depression now on and off for over 20 years. this episoide the longest 15 months. only the past 2 weeks im seeing things so differently im coping,dont feel like im walking through life with lead boots on. im just taking each day as it comes im laughing, somthing ive not done in a long time. only recently ive been up twice this week for 24 hrs and more not needing to  sleep has anyone else had this problem?.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I'm so pleased you're feeling better, it's an awful illness, I've never known anything like it and yes, like you, I often feel there's no hope, it's been a terrible 8 months.  I'll stick with it and hope that it makes a difference soon.  Do you take 200mg in total? X
    • Posted

HI GEN

Yes i take 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the night.just hang on in there keep telling yourself even when you have one of them bad days, BE KIND TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Perhaps you feel worse because quetiapine acts like a seditive and i would imagine the time of day you are taking it will have an impact and it seems you are taking split doses.Did a psychiatrist prescribe it ? My personal experience of 100mgs of quetiapine which i take at 9pm means i am comatosed for 10hrs,more if i don't have to get up for an early shift !!!!!!!!!!! I've always needed my sleep though so might be considered a light weight when it comes to that !!! Anyway things might be improving for you now ? I do hope so ,Best Wishes
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply Lynne.  Yes my psychiatrist prescribed it.  Is yours the immediate release variety?  I might take my dose all in one go in the evening. Gen x
  • Posted

It is an interesting question. As a so-called mood stabiliser, I personally find it stabilises my mood about 90% of the time but then have 10% of intense swings from elation to almost suicidal (sometimes within minutes). That may sound bad, but actually having 90% of the time 'stable' and the odd night with some 'issues' is actually good. There are plenty of meds to 'kill off' the odd bad night if your GP trusts you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.