Quetiapine for GAD

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a lifetime (40 years) of on and off anxiety, some of it extreme, a private Psychiatrist diagnosed me with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) this week.

He's prescribed 50mg of Quetiapine each night for a month then a review.

Is anyone else taking this for GAD and is it effective?

I've tried a few SSRIs in the past but they don't seem to touch the extreme anxiety - although I've only ever had low to medium dosage.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello David.  I too have suffered for many years with Anxiety.  Mine started in my mid teens and is still with me but not to the same degree.  After years of debilitating panic attacks I was finally put onto Diazapam.  My other problem, depression, saw me going onto Mirtazqpine.  Several years ago I had a new diagnosis of bi polar and my drugs reviewed.  I still take 5mg diazapam each day (I used to be on a maintenance dose of 20mg) and have now had Quitiapine added to my prescriptions along with Lamotrigine.  You are on a low dose but I found that these drugs were very good for anxiety.  You may need to up your dose but see how it goes.  Keeping a record is the best idea and mark your anxiety from 1 to 10.  You should find, after a few weeks, that the level and numbers will start to reduce.  If not, don't suffer in silence, go back to your doctor and ask for additional drugs (like benzo's ..  don't worry about the addiction stuff; if it works then it's worth it) and / or an increase in your Quetiapine.  I think that 700mg a day is the max dose so, you can see, your dose is very light.

• Posted

I started with 25mg at night, worked great helps me sleep, and helps with anxiety. I take 12.5mg during the day sometimes when my anxiety is getting bad, it definitely helps but makes me a little groggy. Not horrible tho, definitely better than having panic attacks. While on this med I have had NO panic attacks for two years. I went up to 37.5mg at night as he 25mg wasn’t keeping me asleep. Don’t be worried, it’s a great med and had been a lifesaver for me! 
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy - do you find it works better than SSRIs for you? 

If I could just curb some of the extreme anxiety, life would be so much more pleasant!

• Posted

Yes I’m not on any of the ssri’s anymore. I tried 4 different ones and non worked for me. I use the Quitiapine at night and during the day sometimes. I also sold two of my businesses to reduce my stress, so that combined with the medication has really helped my anxiety. Life is more pleasant now! Good luck man hope it helps you as it has me. 
  • Posted

Hello.  I find it so strange to read these replies to this topic.  The dosage seems to be minute and I am yet to see any replies that state that they are on the same amount as me.  I take 400mg in the evening before bed and 200 in the morning.  The drug knocks me out for about 12 hours and I so like it.  Before, I was so totally tired but unable t sleep.  It mad me very ill to the point of self harm and the contemplation of taking my own life ... not thinking about it but actually getting the pills together.  I am quite happy in my sedated state as I am still here.  Does anyone else take this dose??  I think that the max is 700mg a day; i am on 600.

• Posted

Martyn, this medication works in multiple ways, at lower doses it helps with sleep and raises serotonin levels, making you happier. It does these things up to around 100mg. Beyond that dosage it is recommended for bipolar disorder, as it does other things like mellow out your mood etc. I’m not saying you are bipolar, just telling you what it’s labeled for and what my doctor told me. 
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy.  Yes, I have bi polar and GAD.  I think it is a wonderful drug.  The only problems are a few of the side effects .... dry mouth and sometimes restless leg.
  • Posted

Thanks v much all for the replies - some encouraging words there at a very difficult time.

Must admit it was a shock to be 'diagnosed' with GAD, but the Psychiatrist said not to get too bogged down in terminology. 90% of the people I know don't even have a clue I get mild anxiety let alone this, but then I've always tried to hide it.

Anyway I'll persevere with the Quetiapine and fingers crossed it helps with sleep and general anxiety. (Sleep has been a growing issue over the last 4 years).

I've got some big changes ahead including a business exit, possible return to employment (after ten years, eek) and trying to handle some depression too.

It's 5am on a Saturday morning, and rather than ruminating in bed, I'm up to do some study with the determination to take my life back piece by piece which includes:

- As much as cardio as possible

- Reduce alcohol

- Improve diet

- Be more thankful for the basics in life

- Meditation / Mindfulness

- Forgiveness

- Positivity

Feel free to add to the list and please keep your supportive words coming!

• Posted

Hi David hope you are well I have just started Quetiapine wondered how you are getting on with taking it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.