Quetiapine is giving me Fatty liver, I need to quit taking it but I’m scared to

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was pretty healthy before taking Quetiapine, well, physically healthy. I was a mental wreck having panic attacks daily and Quetiapine has been my life saver for two years. I function again, and run my businesses almost as well as I did before. I’m having liver pains in my back and side, I had a scan done and they said I had fatty liver and t could be from the medication. (I’m only 38, and I don’t drink alcohol) This medicine also makes me hungry all the time, I’ve gained 20lbs on it. I really have to watch what I eat because I just ballon. I know I need to quit it, but I’m scared I’ll relapse and have panic attacks again and not get any sleep.(Quetiapine has been amazing for sleep, I would only get maybe 3 hours of sleep a night before, now I get 7-8) Has anyone tapered off this medication? Was it bad? Did you get onto anything else that helped and dosent cause fatty liver? I tried ssri’s before this and non helped. So I don’t want to try any of those. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Quetiapine was a wonderful med for me. Until it wasn't. 300 mg. dose for 5 years or more. I had side effects from the beginning. I called them "crazy legs". Eventually had to call 911 for severe chest pains. Nothing wrong with my heart, they said. After doing the research online, it was the Seroquel. Tapered off. Not one chest pain since. I've lost 30 lbs. in a year. I encourage those who have side effects to find alternative medicine.

• Posted

Tom, what medication did you switch to? Did you have bad withdrawals from quiting the Seroquel? How long did you taper to get off it?

Thanks for your response and help!

• Posted

1. I switched to lamotrigine, but have since stopped that also.

2. No withdrawls.

3. Long taper. Maybe 3-4 months. 300 to 200 to 150 to 125 to 100. All at 2 week intervals EXACTLY! Then 75, 50, 25. Also at 2 week intervals. Maybe took more than 4 months??

However, please refer to my stated side effects earlier. Thought it was a heart attack. Only 2-5 % of patients report this side effect.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I take Trazodone 150 mg. at bedtime for sleep. Works well for me.
  • Posted

please could you say what happened with you Jeremy? Same thing for me. No problems before and

now 7 months after starting on quetiapine, I'm 3 stone heavier and just been diagnosed with fatty liver

• Posted

Is it possible the fatty liver is because you have gained 21kg and not the quetiapin?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.