Quetiapine or amisulpride vs olanzapine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya Everyone.

Unfortunately Ive had to go back onto olanzapine. I am now stable but want to change to a different medication as it caused me 3 stone weight gain last time. I heard quetiapine can be quite good, but my care coordinator has said the psichiatrist has suggested amisulpride. 

Its probably upto me which one I go on.

Who has experience of these different medications, and what side effects did they cause? Did you gain weight or oversleep a lot, or anything else I should know about these drugs? how are they for withdrawl when you come off them? 

many thanks in advance! smile x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya yea I've been on all three of the meds .had diffrent with all of them.quite few years bk on olanzapine .omg it made me put on lots of weight.to be onist with u they all make you have weight gain The one that's not so bad is amisulperide.,I'm on quetipine,it's good to help you sleep,as it has a knockout effect.you do get a hunger attack bout half an hour after taking it,tho,Im on the lowers dose so it's not to bad...hope this helps.if you want to no more I'm happy to tell you wots the tablets side effects are...cheers
  • Posted

Hi. I wondered if you have tried anything new. My son is on Quetipine 350 mg and he has put on a lot of weight plus is sleeping far too much. He really feels it is the Quetipine although the doctor says it could be the lithium or sodium valproate. He needs to try something else that is less sedating, less hunger promoting but helps him sleep. He had tried olanzapine and in the end refused to take it because it was even worse tha quetipine for weight gain. Hadn't heard of the amisulperide so I am glad I have learned about this.  Have you tried it?
  • Posted

Hi

I thonk all the medication causes weight gain unfortunately. My son is on risipridon consta and he has put a bit of weight on but he is much more mentally well. He dies gey tired though somedays worse than others which I think is upsetting him cos he cant do what he used to do. I think he will try and have it reduced slowly in time ir try alternative medicine but whether it will keep him well is trail and error .

Goid luck

J x

• Posted

Thanks for you reply.  Yes, you seem to have to choose between the lesser of two evils. My son had tried melatonin very successfully with one psychiatrist but when he relapsed, because of having stopped the meds, they don't want to try them on it again.  The main concern is sleep now. Before it was sleep and psychotic thoughts.  It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. But certainly sleeping 14 hou s a day is horrible. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.