Quetiapine weight gain worries

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have just been started on Q 25mg morning and evening increasing over the next 4 weeks to 100mg morning 300mg at night. I am terrified of the stories of the weight gain people experience on this drug 😱 is it the same for everyone?? Does everyone gain weight off this?? I know i have to take the medication as i have emotionally unstable personality disorder and severe anxietybut the thought of the weight gain is making me more anxious about the medication now?? Any help please?? X

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Its like anything else I think...you can go a bit crazy reading all the online stories.  Every one is different.  I've been taking 700mg daily of quetiapine for years now and not had weight gain. I think it can  be an issue for some-so as usual best just to eat healthily and keep fairly active if you can. I understand that it's not the worst for weight gain...either way, I hope it works for you and try not to worry too much...

• Posted

I’m a 38 yr old in shape guy that works out 5 nights a week for 1.5 hours. I put on 15-20 extra lbs on this medication. I have to be very aware of what I eat, no soda, not much fried food or sweets. Once I gave myself a diet plan basically, it has leveled out. But it’s very easy to put on body fat on this medication and difficult to loose it. But it helps my mental state a ton, I’m normal again on this med, so I’d rather eat super healthy and be stable. Not a horrible trade off. It does not put on fat magically, it does make you hungry more often, just eat clean and healthy when possible and you’ll be ok 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.