Quick question about missing lansoprazole tablets

Posted , 3 users are following.

Quick question.

I vivted my GP as I'd been getting sternum pain and the constant need to stretch my torso, along with a vague acid sensation. 

She prescribed my a month's course of lansoprazole and told me to make sure I took them every day and not to stop until I'd reached the end of the course as they need time to work.

I took one per day for three days but (as I'm diabetic) I suspected they were causing problems with raising my sugar levels far too high. I looked this up online and apparently this can be a problem. 

So, I didn't take one today as I didn't want issues wth my blood sugar. Howver, my blood sugar is still high and think the problem might be with my insulin instead.

Is it OK for me to stay off the lansoprazole for 2/3 days to get this issue sorted and then go back on them again?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I had the same symptoms as you with sternum pain every day even with swimming i was on lansoprazole and other antiacids for about four months , if the pain does not stop ask to have a endoscopy , i did and found out it was gastritits that was the problem hence acid causing sternum pain , see how you get on 

• Posted

My doc was actually edging more towards musculoskeletal given what I was describing. It actually could be. I developed a post-nasal drip which I readup was common with acid-reflux and that's what finally made me go to the docs, but that has actually turned into a cold, so was obviously not related. I do feel like a get a vague acid sensation so doc said I could try tabs just to see how I go. It tends to be painful twinges and this urge to twist and crack my sternum, so like I say, could actually be muscle/ligament related. 

• Posted

I'm also a diabetic and The Acid Reflux Meds have not made my sugar go but I have gone off n on my Acid Reflux Meds n it's never been a issue for me but I'm no Dr so always best to ask your Dr.

• Posted

I'm not actually sure if it was the tabs giving me blood sugar spikes, it's just that it only started to happen the very day I started taking them. However, I didn't take one yesterday and my bloods were still high, so need a couple of days off just to be certain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.