Quick question about UFE catheter...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All. I'm having the UFE procedure next week. I asked numerous questions but forgot to ask, is it painful when they remove the catheter after the procedure? My biggest fear right now is the pain that is to be expected post-procedure.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I didn't have a catheter placed for my ufe. Did they tell you one would be placed? This might be because my procedure was a quick outpatient scenario. I mean in and out in 4 hours recovery time included. I know some people stayed for 23 hours or overnight.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I have chosen to do it as an outpatient procedure and was told I should be there for about 7 hrs including recovery time. I thought the use of a catheter was standard for the UFE procedure. I just watched a short YouTube video where my doc stated that a small catheter is placed inside the artery going to the uterus.8 I'm a bit confused now as I read stories about a catheter being used so that you don't feel the need to use the bathroom while having to lay on your back for a few hours following the procedure.

• Posted

Okay, gotcha. The catheter that is placed in the artery for the procedure is something you will not feel. Regarding the catheter that others have spoken about to drain the bladder, I'm unsure about since my doc didn't use one. While in the recovery area, about an hour or so after my procedure, a nurse checked on me to see if I needed to use the bathroom. I told her no, so she left a bed pan just in case. Awhile later I used the bed pan. I was in and out due to the sedation. Maybe you won't feel it if you are sedated as well. I honestly don't remember much post sedation. I think you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thinking back to my Q&A with the doc and the NP, I don't think they use a catheter to drain the bladder. I'm over thinking everything right now and can't wait until it's over. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.