Quick question for the ankle fusion lot...shrunken foot?? 😳

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok so I'm now almost 8wks post ankle fusion and I was just wondering has anyone else noticed that their foot has shrunk?

My son noticed it today and my fusion side is a good 2cm smaller than my 'normal' one! Anyone else noticed the same thing??

Everything else seems to be going ok, I'm in a boot now and can partially weight bare now, I have hardly any swelling and the pain is ok...I'm slightly unnerved about it all to be honest!

This is my 7th ankle on in 12yrs and I swear the arthroscopy, debridement and micro fracturing that I had done as my 5th op was worse than this.

How is everyone else doing??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, You have to total opposite to me. Im 13 weeks in and my foot is still swollan,and now need a size bigger than my normal size 5. So need a 6 where one shoe fits an the other flops....nice to hear that you dont get any swelling and pain. Oh how i would love that. Good luck with your recovery. sx
    • Posted

I do get a little swelling when I over do it with the children and dog but on the whole it's so far so good! 👍🏻

• Posted

Have I got that right that you have had seven ankle fusions in twelve years? May I ask why so many as I'm likely to need one as my four year old TAR is failing.

Thanks Richard

• Posted

Ooh no not seven fusions, I'm actually on my first after deciding that an ankle replacement wasn't the right option for me.

I had an osteochondral defect to my left ankle so had a few arthroscopys and then the micro fracturing twice.

Then had a calcaneum osteotomy to try and shift the weight from the inner part of my left ankle. It didn't work and the inner part of my ankle was bone on bone with multiple stress fractures and x3 lots of floating bone...it short my ankle was a big old mess!

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification. My best wishes for the future.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi, I am 10 wks post fusion. My foot looks smaller too, I guess it is just that you get used to seeing it swollen. Also there will be some muscle atrophy from being immoble, but 2cm seems alot for that.

This is my 2nd. 1st fusion was 9 years ago. doing well so far.

good luck.

• Posted

How come a second fusion?

Yeah, the position of my foot has completely changed too! It's kind of scary that the muscle atrophy in the operated leg is so drastic...I've got a lot of work to do when I start my Physio.

• Posted

I know what you mean abt the foot. I think it seems shorter because of the ankle positioning being more rigid. My foot and ankle is still swollen 5 and a half months so I'm using a log of ice packs. I saw my surgeon today and he says my fusion all looks good on the X-rays and feels ok, but I'm walking with the weight on the outside of my foot for some reason and getting consequent foot pain on the side of the foot. So I've been measured for some orthotic insoles. He says they should help correct the foot position. Really hope so as I'm frustrated that I'm still not able to walk properly after nearly 6 months. Still having some pain rolling through the ball of the foot and behind the ankle where it's still pretty swollen. Has anyone had the same problem at nearly 6 months post op?

• Posted

I get what you mean about the shape of your foot changing, I finally have an instep after 3yrs without one due to a bone on bone inner ankle! How are you getting on with walking and the pain now Tessa?

I can only partially weight bare at the moment so I'm not sure how it's going to go. The pain in the inner part of my ankle (where I used to get horrendous pain) literally disappeared after the post op pain settled down. But the outer aspect of the food is pretty painful but I hope it gets better.

My consultant has already referred me for insoles as he said it can be a common problem with the ankle fusion op. I didn't know about this, I've had insoles before and couldn't get used to them but fingers crossed this time will be better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.