Quick switch from citalopram to venlaxafine IR 75mg twice a,day

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All! So..started on sertraline late January..didn't work...then citalopram... Also stopped working.. 5 days ago per doc..had me stop citalopram and next day start venlaxafine IR 75mg twice,a,day... Feel ok.. First night..no sleep but now,sleep.is good..a little revved up after 1st dose..but second...no.. Sweats are terrible... Just would like to hear only positive stories..I can talk myself into anything..can't hear negative...and when will side effects fade?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello leahe, similar to yourself. Spent 3 months on cit, got in a right state. Did a long taper with ven, slowly dropping cit, and 4 weeks ago went on 75mg imediate release, morning and night, so 150mg in total per day. First night felt weird, but ever since, have found taking ven pleasant. I get a nice feeling about after 1 hour of taking it. My change over period was 8 weeks, which brought me to my knees. 4 weeks on 150mg, and ive improved. No longer feel tragically down as i did during change over. I feel i might need a slightly higher dose in a few weeks, but seeing how it goes. Feel no where near good, but no where near as bad. Im gradually lowering the diazepam i also take, as im finding i dont need so much. Have found ven to be agreeable so far, no apparent side effects. I feel ven is right for me. No complaints about it, apart from time it takes.
    • Posted

Sounds like you were fortunate, in that you had a relatively quick change over. Having experienced a very long switch, think youve done well, had it good.
    • Posted

Thanks..yes it was quick..very tense still on 5th day.. Is this normal?
    • Posted

If lost a few pounds yes. Not very hungry at all.. Kinda like that..libido..lost that years ago with menopause...smile
    • Posted

Im single, but can confirm no loss of libido. Lol. No weight gain either. Difficult to say on weight gain though, as i eat really healthily.
    • Posted

Sounds like your switch was quick, so not surprising you are anxious, better than getting really depressed with a drawn out switch. I wouldnt be concerned, as long as you can handle it. If you find you cant, then speak to your doctor about having a small amount of diazepam for a couple of weeks, while it settles down.
    • Posted

By the way, its pretty normal. It could last up to a few weeks, possibly less. For me, it made me alert at first, but i am using diazepam, which makes it a lot easier starting off. I anxiety gets too much, then see your doctor about taking something for it, for a few weeks, while it settles down.
    • Posted

Thank you! This makes me feel like it'll be ok....in time

• Posted

Hiive lost weight to one of the good things I eat crap still lose weight I want to get to my ideal weight 8st 4 so one half stone to go 
  • Posted

Hi leave I've been on citalopram for years n years then added mitrazapine put on soooo much weight took me off mitrazapine n now on velaflaxine been on for 10 days now feeling much better I've been lowering my citalopram too completely finished it too 2 days ago I will keep following this discussion too see how we get on hope u do well xxx

• Posted

Hi 

I have been on venlafaxine over a year I am on two aday but if I get low I have to take 4x tablets there and then as I’ll tell the truth I want to end my life at times I stay for my dogs the four work but I am looking into something else I hope u are ok 

• Posted

So...thought I'd update my journey.. I have been on ven since 6/8.. 3 weeks on 150mg a,day..75mg 2x a day and the last 3 weeks up to 187mg a,day..37mg added to my am 75mg... I am feeling soo much better. This seems to be working for me. Totally worth being patient for the meds to work.. How are you guys doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.