Quit amitriptyline 25 mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ve been prescribed for amitriptyline 25 mg for sleeping. It doesn't really help me can I quit it abruptly?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aimable

I wouldn't just quit cold turkey, please be careful, the experts on the web all say 10% taper,  infact its taken me over 6 months to go from 25kg to 2.5mg am taking in liquid form now, and am just recovering from withdrawal from last taper.  I am ultra sensitive on meds and have been on them for about 3 years.  How long have you been on them?

• Posted

I am on it for 2 months but it doesn't help me. I am sleeping like 2 or 3 hours in night.

• Posted

Are you having any nights where you are sleeping through?  I remember my doctor saying to give it a few months as was put on them for the same reason as you, and spoke to her after a few months.  I still had nights where I couldn't sleep, and she told me to give it more time.

• Posted

I am having trouble in sleeping. It is not easy to fall asleep and stay asleep.
    • Posted

Its definitely worth speaking to your doctor.  Some people have no problem coming off a small amount, I have had a lot of problems coming off a small amount.  Look into it, the last thing you probably need is lack of sleep on top of withdrawal symptoms.  Good luck with this.
  • Posted

Aimable

It all depends on how long you have been on this drug. 25mg is a small dose, the next smaller tablet is 10mg and generally both tablets are small doses, and it is generally possible to come of the 25mg dose quite quickly. However many here will suggest you start by taking 10mg tablet for a couple of weeks then stop.

I take this medication for a different problem, 75mg daily I take them one hour before bed they aid sleep, and nuro damage pain. I vary my medication down to 50mg if my condition allows and I find no problems with that. Again others may suggest differing ways to withdraw the dose down and stop. 

Talk to your GP, He may need to discuss this medication with you, it may be coming of this drug may be a good idea at this time depending on the full reasons of the script. Other medications may be advised. However this medication may be given over quite a short period of time to get you through a difficult time. Coming of this medication at a low dose should not cause many concerns. You need a GPs advise and possible assistance ????.

BOB

• Posted

Hi aimable,

From my experience I would taper off these meds. Some have no issues coming off this med and some of us have a horrible time. I was on 10mg for 6 months and had a bad time with the withdrawals. I would not cut more than 5mg to start and see how you do. Your body will let you know if that is too fast. Hopefully you have no issues 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.