Quit effexor cold turkey back on it now and have dry mouth.

Posted , 1 user is following.

So I quit my effexor cold turkey and got back on it on friday due to a reccurence of anxiety and I now have dry mouth coincidentally, I don't think I had dry mouth when I first started taking it 2 years ago. Is this normal and should I be worried? I went to 2 Dr's the past 2 days due to me being scared that it's cancer or something, they both said I'm fine and to just continue drinking water. I just got a blood test done as well just in general for a regular check up and i'm worried about everything. I need help.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it is normal to have a dry mouth. When you quit taking the effexor you pretty well put your brain and body in a tail spin, so now it is trying to readjust. You are experiencing quite a bit of anxiety about your health. Were you this worried before you stopped taking the effexor cold turkey?

There is tooth paste and mouthwash that is specifically made to help with dry mouth, that is not prescription. Also you can chew sugar free gum to give yourself some relief. 

This is a normal side effect when you have stopped effexor. It is going to take a few months before your body begins to react normally again. You will be fine!

• Posted

Also is it normal to seem forgetful and for your mind to seem foggy and what not while you're getting back on it. I keep freaking out and thinking that now I have a brain tumor and what not, I know I don't for a fact but it's still scary.
  • Posted

Thank you jennifer, I did a little bit before I went off but not this much, I have strange sensations in my face as well like tingling cheeks and what not every once in a while and light headedness and some vision issues as well and I keep thinking that there are so many problems with my health now. However I am getting better! It sucks but I can get through it.
    • Posted

Hi airforce. Yes, it is perfectly normal to be forgetful and for your mind to seem foggy. Effexor can be a very difficult drug at times, especially when you decide to stop taking it! You just need to keep reassuring yourself that you are ok. You have seen your doctor, have had a thorough check up from what you posted earlier, right? You have a clean bill of health, you are young, have a good support system, and you will soon get thru this. Antidepressants can be very helpful drugs, but they are nothing to monkey around with! I am glad you are posting your concerns here rather than trying to handle your fears on your own! Waaayyy too spooky. Sometimes it is helpful to write yourself reminders, like on a sticky note or something, telling yourself that you are OK, to breathe when you feel like an anxiety attack or a wierd thought is coming on. 

You are a very strong person!! Keep writing. I know you will get thru this!!

Jen

• Posted

Thank you so much! It helps so much to talk to others who know about all this. I saw 2 dr's as a matter of fact and they both said i'm fine, I got a blood test today and am going to get the results tomorrow and i'm sure they'll be fine, if something is wrong theres always medication for those types of things!
  • Posted

Hi Airforce. I was wondering what is the amount of effexor you were on when you stopped taking it 2 months ago? If you were on a high dose and then stopped cold turkey that would explain the severity of the symptoms that you are having. 
    • Posted

I stopped it about a month ago and I was on 150mg a day. And on Friday I started taking 150mg a day again.
  • Posted

That is a pretty high dose to just have stopped like you did. Now that you have begun taking it again, it will take more than 6 days to get to feeling back to where you were. Your brain has to be allowed time to readjust to having the chemicals it is used to back in your system.

I dont really understand how antidepressants work, I just know that when people go to actually stop taking effexor they usually take a long time to get off of it safely, and do what is called "titrate", meaning decrease the dose, hopefully under a doctors supervision. Its not your fault that you didnt do that, because most people are not aware of how difficult it is on your body and mind when you stop taking effexor. When a person just stops taking it for whatever reason it causes many of the symptoms that you have been having. 

That is why I can tell you with every confidence that so many of these feeling will pass once you are stable with your meds. It is such a frightening feeling to feel not yourself.

Keep in touch. As long as it helps to talk about what is happening there are always people who care and can help!

Jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.