Quit my job because of anxiety.. what now??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've tried for sooo long to keep this anxiety under wraps as I eventually want to go into a specific career where a recent history of mental ilness would mean dismissal. I haven;t had any on record treatment for anxiety/depression in 2 years and i need to keep it that way but I can't get over this anxiety with certain things. 

I had managed to keep a job for nearly 2 years, I didnt enjoy it mostly but enjoyed it other days, I then found a new job but it involved till work which caused me even more anxiety so I quit. I've been unemployed for 3 weeks now & I'm not in a position to quit as I have rent/bills/car etc I asked my old boss could I come back and he said no..sad

I don't know what to do, everything has became too hard to handle and I don't know where to go from now. I've got a potential new job but its only temporary and means till(cash register) work. I have the maths version of dyslexia so I find it IMPOSSIBLE working on tills hence why i quit my most recent job.

Anxiety is RUINING my life but i cant seek help because of the future career plans. My last longterm job was night-shift which meant no tills-no customers and I'm terrifed because now I have to go back to day time working with customers. Ive refreshed the job page literally 1000 times over the past few weeks and trying to apply for anything that DOSENT involve cash registers. 

I went for another interview but now I don't know if I want the job because I'll have to be till trained and cover breaks in a busy store.

I didnt know where else to come so I came here. sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try to get an office job in a small firm where you don't have to deal with the public and they probably will not check your background because you will not deal with money.

• Posted

Maybe go around asking stores if they're hiring and send out your CV. Also put on your CV that you're able to work night shifts ONLY and maybe also state you're only looking for a job where you stock or something?

Prehaps apply for Universal Credit so at least you'll be getting money in whilst searching jobs. I'm currently claiming and I even got work experience but due to my anxiety being extreme recently I've had to quit. They're also very helpful with what kind of jobs you want to be suited too.

Goodluck!

• Posted

Hi ...tanyalion...oh bless you lovey, I do so understand your struggle, I was exactly the same as you...I turned to alcohol to cope...and then just walked out one day.....

As you say your are worried about your further career prospects...you CANNOT BE DISCRIMINATED FOR ANY FORM OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM...

have you got any idea of what you would like to train for long term...?..is there anything that you really love doing ?

Also lovey, about you bills ect...is there anyone who can help you ?...

You must have some very good assets...are you good on the telephone,....or talking to people....Maybe a restaurant....or a hotel...or in a care home. ? If you have any career advisery support near you,...go there to see them,..it is their JOB, THAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO,...SO THEY SHOULD HELP YOU.....

I wish you all the luck in the world....for a career that you enjoy xxx excel at xxx and actually look forward to every day....

You, like everyone else has a real talent !!! For something.....

You WILL FIND YOURS......hugs and very good luck, and sincere wishes to you.....

• Posted

I have an idea for you. All these public schools have janitors. Good job, good pay and good benifits. You dont even have to work in the daytime when its crowded. You can choose after hours. Great for someone with anxiety. You just have to go online and find out where you apply or go into the "home" school and ask. google low anxiety jobs im sure there a lists and lists to choose from. You are running a gamble if you can self help yourself out of this or not as you stated no therapy or treatment can occur. how about on line webinars or books on anxiety, workbook on cbt stuff like that maybe can help you. Good luck and feel well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.