Quiting Alprazolam, using diazepam to do so. Anyone do this before?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My doctor has prescribed diazepam for 6 days, heavy dose of 10mg 3 times a day on day one, and 2 doses day 2, then smaller till zero on day 6. I am supposed to quit taking the Alprazolam cold turkey, and the diazepam is supposed to suppress or help lesson the side effects of coming off the Alprazolam. Im nervous to do this but will most likely attempt it, as Im taking 1.5-2mg a day now of the Alprazolam and would like to be off it. I was instructed to monitor heart rate and blood pressure and take Alprazolam if needed if either one of those resting numbers gets to high, or if I experience withdrawals symptoms strongly and the diazepam isnt enough to cover them. Kind of scary when your told you can die quitting Alprazolam, but I trust my doctor, she says she has gotten alcoholics off alcohol in 6 days with the diazepam, and people off Xanax (Alprazolam) in 3-6 day diazepam tapers as well.

Anyone have any positive or negative experience or feedback to share?

Regards,

J

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm unsure why your doctor has decided to wean you off that quickly, Alprazolam normally requires at least 8 weeks which causes a much better outcome,, I would definitely be asking your physician the question.

You are obviously not in the UK as this is definitely not a prescription drug.

• Edited

Hi Jeremy, I am not your doctor but, I can tell you what I know....cold turkey benzo withdrawl is a bad idea, it takes typically 8 weeks to do a proper taper for Alprazolam(doctors agree on this)...some Drs will change you over to a longer lasting benzo, like Diazepam and then do a slow taper(by about 25% decrease every 2wks for example, for 8 weeks) Drs agree a slow taper is best to avoid withdrawl and preventing your anxiety coming back full force, also it is more successful in keeping people OFF the benzos in the long run...what she is suggesting is stopping the Alprazolam, putting you on a long lasting benzo, at a higher dosage than the Alprazolam(but still allowing you to take it as needed for withdrawl symptoms)...which makes the overall benzo dosage higher than before and THEN stopping you from all benzos in 6 days....you can switch to another benzo w/o problems usually but, you are still on a benzo...and she expects you to be off it in 6 days(even though she has boosted your dose) and thinks you won't have withdrawl symptoms?...I am not telling you to not listen to your Dr but, you are entitled to a 2nd opinion(at this point you don't want to p**s her off, so maybe ask an addiction Dr online or call a clinic and ask what they think about this tapering process she has suggested...technically she is switching benzos and expecting you to be off benzos in 6 days, I would like to see if it actually did work on somebody and see what DOSE they were on, how LONG they had been taking them & what they had for WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS, those are all key factors, everybody is different & what worked for one person may not work for another but, medical experts in addiction and in general practice use the 8wk taper as it is best for the patient & their long term success..also consider if your anxiety is controlled enough right now to attempt this...it is a GREAT idea to get off benzos and you will but, do it safely & get another opinion...if your first try sets you up for a failure it can effect future attempts...you are SO right to question the process, you have questions/concerns/doubts.....you need to make an informed decision and I don't think you are there yet, get more of your questions answered and when you feel confident in your options, it will go MUCH better, its okay to be a little nervous but, you should have confidence in your Dr and the plan that effects you & your body...Good Luck & BEST WISHES💒🌈🎶🐾♾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.