Quiting amatriptyline cold turkey

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Just a quick questiom realy. I had been prescribed amatriptyline 10mgs for restless syndrome. It has been very good at treating it, i must say. And helped me sleep better aswell. However this drug is causings me seveer constipation. I went today first time in about 4 days. I usualy go every day. As i excersise, eat well and drink plenty of water. Why cant i find meds that help me and dont cause me unbearble problems at the same time. I have decided it is not worth it. When i do go it is so painfull and infeel asif im not getting it all out as grose as that sounds im sorry. So my main questiom is will it be ok to just go cold turkey off it and what will i expect ? Will i have insomnia ? If so i have one 7.5 zopiclone tab left from an old script. I found that 3.75 got me to sleep so if i need to take half for a couple of days coming off the amatriptyline for insomnia. Would that help or only make me not sleep for longer after doing that ? Any info and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks smile

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, How did you do coming off it / ive tryed cold turkey for three week and the side effects for me are just two much. Would love to know how you got on?x
    • Posted

Which side effects were you going through? And can u possibly separate the ones you can deal with, from the ones you said were "too much?" If this is possible I may have a couple ideas for u to suggest to your Dr. I AM NOT a Dr, however do hold a license to pass medicine in the state of MO, which is a CMA, certified medical aide. So I do know quite a bit about medicines, and as equally important...."sister" medications that are commonly used for the same diagnosis / diagnoses, that Dr often try for reasons from as simple as cost effectiveness to more severe situations such as side effects to even being allergic to the medication.
    • Posted

I kinda gave a brief definition of my Dr's definition to sister medications....but let me give an example....just so there's no confusion Tylenol, Advil, Bayer, among many many, many other over-the-counter pain relievers are meant for the same purpose, however, just to name one off the top of my head Aleve, uses naproxen as its main ingredient for pain relief, however anyone that has had a heart condition, I'm not sure if this is for all heart conditions , I just know that my daughter had open heart surgery and it was a prescription over the counter that we were told to avoid . I'm not exactly for sure if they all play,
    • Posted

Its 4:30 in the morning and apparently I hit the wrong button lol, as I was saying it was one that we were told to avoid because of her open heart surgery even though it is a Sister medication to other over the counter pain relievers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.