Quitting 10 years of 60 mg Cymbalta

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have been taking this insidious drug for over ten years for pain  in neck and back.  Initial reaction was great.  Now not so much.  On March 2,2018 I quit the drug cold turkey against my doctor’s wishes.  I wish I had done it sooner.  Only side effects were brain zaps occurring when first going to bed, and enhanced dreaming.  No nightmares.  I have passed all but occasional brain zaps, and the dreams have not been unpleasant.  I am 78 years old.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well done you. glad you are feeling ok. Keep strong and positive. x
    • Posted

Thanks.  Took me a long time to realize the insidiousness of this med.  Nobody, including the maker Eli Lilly, knows how to get off this medicine.  I read the blogs and decided I didn’t want to do a stepdown withdrawal.  Cold Turkey worked for me, but obviously if you read the blogs, it’s not for everyone.
    • Posted

Drugs companies do not want to help people to withdraw from their 'products'. They are making so much profit . Cynbalta is hellish to withdraw from and  a dr I read about online says that drs did not realise the dangers of cymbalta, lyrica, Neurontin and now they do that  drs are unable to advise patients on how to get off these drugs. Can send u  links by PM if you wish. There are lawsuits going n in the US re Lyrica, Cymbalta etc.

• Posted

No thank you for links.  I got into the mess by myself and I got out from under it by myself.  You are right about doctors not knowing about cymbalta, but I don’t think they know much about any drug.  I’ll no longer take a prescription offered at face value.  Some people groove on the number of pills they take daily, I don’t.  I’ve gone from 10, mostly pain meds, to the 2 that will keep me alive a little longer.  Lisinopril 10 mg to keep my BP on an even keel, and Simvastatin, 40 mg.  For pain I have gone to tumeric as primary and if it is particularly ornery I’ll take an Aleve.  Usually that’s only when I anticipate more activity.
    • Posted

Simvastin!! How long have u been taking this drug for? Have u had your vit d , B12 checked or anaemia screening done?

Is your cholesterol high?

• Posted

Hi Jeff All statins have the same side effects. There is a lot of info about them online. 
  • Edited

I think you have been very lucky getting away with as little side effects as you had, especially if you have gone from 60mg to nothing. I had never felt any relief from pain with the drug but it defo helped with my mood but only when on a low dose of 30mg, I have come off it but suffered terribly, unable to go to sleep, when I did I would have nightmares, also had very dark thoughts and anxiety attacks, no mention of this from my GP. Pleased you have managed to come off this drug though and hope you do well without it
    • Edited

Thanks for your thoughts, Kathleen.  I had been thinking of coming off cymbalta for a long time.  It did help the pain in my lower back, but at a future price I didn’t want to pay.  As you would expect, i firdt went to the doctor who prescribed it.  His response, why would you want to do that, said everything .  He didn’t know how to do it safely.  And still doesn’t.  After reading the stories of all the problems associated with withdrawal I delayed doing anything about it for over a year.  Nobody, it seemed, had much success getting out from under cymbalta, and those who finally did took forever.  Well, on March 2, 2018 , my 78th birthday I decided enough was enough.  I dumped cymbalta and the other pain pills I’d been taking cold turkey.  It’s almost been a month.  I have no idea why I only had the brain zaps and enhanced dreaming.  No nightmares, just non-offensible  dreams.  I don’t recommend my approach, just saying what my experience was.
    • Posted

I have to get odd this 60mg Cymbalta. I am 68 any thoughts

• Posted

hello jeff

i hope you are feeling well

i am on cymbalta 30 for almost one year

i was on it cause i quit seroxat ( of three years ) and had terrible withdrawal symptoms

i am in my fourth day of no cymbalta

perviously my doctor recommend two weeks alteration dose - one day i will take the next day i wont

today is my fourth day and i feel brainfog and dizziness and my mood is over the roof i am having crying spell

i stopped this medicine cause i am planning to do ivf

i feel terrible and sad and emotional

the brainfog and dizziness are they going to last for ever i cant handle my life with this awful feeling

please advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.