quitting 40mg of celexa cold turkey after 2 years on it.

Posted , 27 users are following.

I have been on celexa for about two years, and I recently ran out. So I decided to quit taking them all together. Its need about 6 days. I have had minor head aches, brain zaps, nausea and ocd. I was wondering how much worse its going to get and when with the withdrawal peek?

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi johnnybravo I have quit 40 mg cold turkey an feel ur symptoms the brain zaps am finding worse I all so have had belly cramps and leg cramps every day an feeling sick all the time
  • Posted

I've been on citalopram 40mg for 2 and a half years.

10 days ago I went cold turkey too.

Reasons being that, I can't lose weight even through diet and exercise, periods have stopped and also got a cyst on my right ovary.

Sensation in sex has completely gone that I was numb down there.

Also couldn't cry properly, when my grandad died I had some sort of block that wouldn't allow me to cry and felt like I had a block in my chest.

Also got blurry vision too and was told by the optician that it was citalopram causing it. To be honest I think that's way too many cons for a pill and im never going on it again

I'm feeling very sicky and light headed and certain smells make me feel like I want to vomit. Kind of reminds me of my first pregnancy lol...and no I'm not pregnant lol.

I don't really get the brain zaps anymore I have been experiencing tingling sensation in my fingertips and mouth if I over do it and also sweating alot too like I've done an hour workout. I'm hoping this will pass soon as I decided to do this during the 6 week holidays as it gives me time to get better ect.

I've already lost 4 pounds of weight which I'm happy about. I've had mood swings but don't feel depressed just a little iratable that I can't get on with things without wanting to throw up.

Is anyone else feeing this and how long till it goes?

• Posted

Hey Tren,

I was on Citalopram for about 10 years....my dose was 40mg.

I stopped taking it, basically cold turkey in April. So, it has been almost 4 months.

it was quite difficult.  I definitely had the nausea that you are having.  Every day, all day.  I also had a headache all the time.  

My emotions were off the charts.....I was so irritable,  paranoid and angry.  I also got sad and cried easily.  

I was embracing the tears....because , while on the medication, it was nearly impossible for me to cry. But I was so very, very agitated.....it was horrible!!

I had to try extremely hard not to do or say things that I would regret.  It was a huge struggle.  

I learned, from another forum, that this was a common withdrawal and I worked at recognizing that my emotional reactions were in hyper mode.

I also was sensitive to smell, like you are.  I did get brain zaps, dizziness, and had a waterlogged sensation in my head for a few months.

I was getting really bad hot flashes up until a week ago.  But, I am 50 years old and not sure if it was from menopause.  

I had had some weird, bad dreams.  I also became very antsy and not able to relax.

Coming into August, I am starting to feel much better! The nausea, headaches, and waterlogged sensation is totally gone.

My irritability is better too....thank goodness....because it was so severe!  I still have to keep myself in check because I can over react to something and the emotion comes over me very quickly, intensely....and sometimes, out of nowhere (unexpectedly).

I also experienced a symptom of withdrawal called PGAD.  While on the Citalopram, I basically had the opposite of that disorder.  

PGAD can be very, very uncomfortable, unwanted, and just terrible.  It was very, very bothersome to me.  But, it is so difficult to explain it to someone that has never had it.  You don't unspderstand it until it happens to you.

Thank the good Lord that it has gone away....mostly.....it comes back fairly mildly here and there.  Some people have it so severely that they consider suicide....from what I've read.

i am so happy to be off the Citalopram...although, I do admit that it really helped me a lot for a long time.  I was a basket case and needed this drug really calmed me down and helped me to cope when I didn't think I could.

Hope you're feeling good today so far and that you keep getting better.

I have hope that, in time, my nervous system will calm down .....I find it hard to relax in withdrawal.  I think that it might be a shock to my system coming off the drug so abruptly after 10 years.  

Most people highly reccommend a proper wean from Citalopram.  

I made my own decision to stop.  My hair was falling out and I think, after ten years....my body started to reject the drug and it became toxic to me.

• Posted

Hi I am weening off of Celexa 40mg. Been on antidepressants since 2001. Just 3 mths ago went down to 20 mg, doing okay not to much trouble. But now I was forced to be without for 5 days and crap is hitting the roof. I told people it was like brain shocks lol...now I know to say zaps. My problem is I guess terrors? Nightmares and not sleeping. Marijuana usually helps me at night but I don't know what to do, any suggestions
    • Posted

Hi there

I am on citalopram and I aldo have Ovarian Cysts (polycytstic ovaries) - I'm wondering why you have mentioned this in the thread? Do you believe there is a link?

Thanks

• Posted

Go to an acupuncturist if your still on them. It really helped me quit. I hope your ok as well.

DD

• Posted

I've been on citalopram (UK name) for 2years I was originally on 20mg and was upped to 40mg after 6 weeks. I asked to be dropped down at the beginning of the year I'm now on 10mg. Me and my wife decided I should try coming off as we have been trying to have a 3rd child but have not conceived in 12months the Dr is 100% sure the pills aren't to Blame but I have spoken to many people who are in the same boat many said after coming off they conceived.

Any way iv missed pills now and then and not had many effects but I'm currently 7 days cold and I'm feeling bad not many side effect. Occasionally when walking I feel like I'm in the sky and feel like I suddenly drop to the floor and feel my knees give. But the worse side effect is I can't stand my wife. When ever she gets close I feel suffocated. I'm also incredibly agitated I just want to hit every body in the street for no reason at all.

Last night when she was in the bath I thought I could so easily kill her now. Obviously I didn't but not nice thought to be having about a loved one

Also Ive been constantly hungry and feel sick immediately after but 10min later I'm hungry again

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I would like to know how you are doing?
  • Posted

I'm in the same situation as you right now.  I know this was posted over a year ago but it's happening to me now.  I am on 40mg of celexa and took it for 2 years.  I recently just moved to a new state so I don't have any insurance or a doctor yet.  I don't even know how to get insurance or any of that stuff, it confuses me.  Eventually I will have it but I'm getting low on my medicine.  I'm nervous and not sure what will happen to me if I just stop taking it.  Any advice?
    • Posted

Just call your doctor from the other state, and them what is happening. You can talk to a nurse or anyone else who cares for patients and they will find out how to get another prescription from a doctor.

​Otherwise, go to a walk-in clinic and tell them you are out of celexa and they should prescribe it again. I have gone to walk-ins two times now when I want an antidepressant and they do it no problem, especially if you are already on it. Walkins cost like $50-$75 so you can just pay up front if you can afford it. Calling your old doctor would be free.

• Posted

I am too cold turkey on citilopram and mirtazapine. Evil horrible feelings, never known anything like it 😞
  • Posted

I'm glad I found this forum.  I just stopped 20 mg of Lexapro cold turkey about a week ago.  I too am stubborn and impatient.  I can relate to wanting to have my feelings and basically my self back.  My main symptoms have been confusion, forgetfulness and sometime fatigue.  My husband is trying to be understanding.  I think my sex drive is picking up, so he has incentive to hang in there with me.  Haha!! smile

I posted on another forum and they basically told me to taper off or I can have bad side effects for years!  But, now that I'm a week in, I don't want to go back on it.  I basically decided that stuff was poison and I don't want to put it into my body, like EVER AGAIN!!  Haha!

Every day, I question whether I made the right decision, and should I taper?  Then I decide to just hang in there because, so far, the symptoms have been difficult, but definitely manageable.  I decided to go to a holistic dr. and have an appointment next week, so I figured I'd hang in there, at least until then!  If it gets too bad, I can always wean off.  

Wow, some of you went off 40 mg. cold turkey, so I guess that gives me hope, since I was at 20 mg.  In a few weeks, we're going on a long vacation.  I was wanting to feel better by then, but don't know whether that is too much to expect or not.  Maybe, at least, being on vacation will help me deal with the withdrawals.  

Anyway, thank you!  I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to hearing from you'all soon!

• Posted

I quit 20 mg cold turkey with the help of an acupuncturist. Hope all turned out well for you! DD
    • Posted

Hey, I ended up reinstating a small does, 2.5 mg or so and tapered off. Been off several months now with no negative side effects! I wouldn't recommend cold turkey, however!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.