quitting 40mg of celexa cold turkey after 2 years on it.

Posted , 27 users are following.

I have been on celexa for about two years, and I recently ran out. So I decided to quit taking them all together. Its need about 6 days. I have had minor head aches, brain zaps, nausea and ocd. I was wondering how much worse its going to get and when with the withdrawal peek?

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My husband was told he had Cancer and only a year to live. Destroyed my world so my daughter out me on Celexa 20 mg. my husband passed 7 months later and 2 years after I got on it I tried to quit cold turkey. I also had the worst anxiety/panic attack and thought I was gonna die. I had to stand outside just in case I did die so that someone would see me. I didn't care about calling anyone for help. Whatever was gonna happen was gonna happen. I made it through the night and went back on the Celexa. About a month later I went to see an acupuncturist and told him everything that had happened and what I wanted, which was to quit taking the medicine I was on. I even wanted to quit taking the Xanax I had been taking since we were told Cancer. I went to my acupuncturist twice a week and after 4 visits I was able to quit cold turkey. And the best thing was NO WITHDRAWALS!! He not only helped my mental mood but also some muscle problems I had been having from all of the stress! I hope and pray I never have to get on that stuff ever again! But since I have been through the loss of my soulmate of 30 years, I don't think anything could hurt me more than that and I am so much stronger today! I still cry, miss him terribly everyday. It's only been two years he passed. He was only 48. If I start feeling like life is just a bit too much, I haul butt to my acupuncturist! I know there will always be rough and hard times but I am determined to make the most out of my life that I have left and not live it sad. If I had know what it would have been like to get off that medicine, I would have never started! Good luck to anyone trying to get off of it cold turkey. DD

• Posted

Hi all, newbie here,

I've been taking citalopram for over 8 years at 30mg per day with no real side major side effects, apart from regular heavy night sweats and vivid dreams. Now Im more in control of my life,( I have aspergers syndrome) I decided to go cold turkey last Wednesday so thats 6 days ago, so far so good, but today started to feel a bit spacey, is this going to get much worse? Im willing to try and ride this out, also worth noting Im an an elite level cyclist/runner though not competing anymore.

• Posted

just quit a week ago and boy wasnt ready for this withdrawls feels like im loosing myself so close to just start taking at least 5mg. I was only on them for two months at 10mg and the side effects were horrid. I gained 20 lbs in 2 months, start loosing hair, lost my period, was constantly hungry, no emotions at all like a living robot. I wish I never started this awful drug. God help all of us trying to quit this drug.
    • Posted

Faefae,

I quite like over a year ago.....pretty much cold turkey.  Maybe it's closer to a year and a half now.  It was very, very difficult to quit.  I was taking 40mg for over ten years.

The absolute worst part for a long time was that I would get extremely agitated and irritable very easily.  I was also emotionally paranoid and just a mess.  It's like your feelings are on super-hyper and extraordinarily sensitive mode.

I had to be very careful not to act on these emotions because they were irrational and kind of imagined.

I had some other issues too that were very uncomfortable.  I am happy that I am able to cry now....that sounds weird....but, on the drug, I was unable to. Sometimes crying makes me feel better.

Stay strong.......if you absolutely can't take it anymore and you feel overly depressed, dangerously sad.....try just taking a small amount.

Most people that come off of Celexa recommend that you wean very slowly.  I was so stubborn and just wanted off of it.....I think my body was starting to reject it after so many years.....my hair was falling out too.

Try to remember to calm yourself down when you get the hyper, super sonic, overly dramatic feelings, moods and emotions.....tell yourself that they are not real.  It does get better though. My moods and reactions are much more stable now.

I wish you the best.

• Posted

Karen you are an angel sent from heaven. I am having hard time sleeping tonite and your comment just hit it right in the spot. I feel overly sensitive today where I feel as if I can feel sound. I was thinking to go on a 5mg and taper that down. I wasnt on them for a long time only short two months but the addiction is very real. This whole process is making me rethink my life and when you hit 46 its not easy. So bottom line is I will start again at 5mg my original dose was 10mg and take that for couple of weeks and then take 5mg every other day for couple of weeks I never imagined this would be so difficult. For emotions I was getting so numb nothing made me happy and one thing I noticed I shopped a lot without thinking if I could afford it. What a strange little pill.
    • Posted

Hello,

I have been on Celexa for 17 years now, doses ranging from 40 to 20 mg. I am now at a point (in between jobs) where I can get off of this stuff. I've tried several times over the years to quit, but my withdrawl symptoms (dizziness and zaps) were so bad that I couldnt safely drive to work or anywhere, so I had to get back on. 17 years is over half of my life...so I've been on this stuff forever. 

Main question:

Is it physically dangerous to my nervous system go off cold-turkey or a fast taper? I know there are issues with mental issues, but luckily every time I go off I've never experienced any emotional issues. 

• Posted

Hi Mac,

i think you have to taper off slowly.  You'll get lots of zaps coming not off 40mg and you've been on for a long time - there's no point in rushing it. If you come off slowly, you may not experience any withdrawal symptoms😀

best,

linda

• Posted

Hi Mac,

The brain zaps were the least of my problems coming off the Celexa. But, as you stated, they do definitely interfere with driving and functioning at work. I had just recently retired when I stopped the drug cold turkey. I was 49 years old. So, I totally understand how now is a good time for you to try and cut down/taper.

Everybody's nervous system is so different. I did a lot of reading on forums about stopping this drug and many, many people strongly urged me and warned me not to go cold turkey. They said it can wreak havoc on your system that may be irreversible.

So, please be careful in your decision.

It seemed to me, though, that so many people were tapering for such a long time.....years....and I just didn't want to do that.

The brain zaps lasted about 5 days. Some dizziness lingered. The waterlogged feeling in my head and ears lasted quite a while. Ringing in my ears too. The nausea lasted months and months. The emotional agitation actually was a delayed withdrawal symptom. Be careful, it might sneak up on you after a few weeks.

It was so difficult for me..... the extreme irritability. It was dreadful...... but I am so much better now. I'm so glad it's behind me.

I wanted to mention that I made a mistake in my earlier post. I have been on the Celexa for closer to 20 years. I still can't believe how much time flew by while I was numbed on Celexa. It did help me as my job and life was very stressful.

Being retired now makes it easier to be off of the medication.

Let me know how you are doing if you get the chance.

• Posted

Hello! I hope many people that ask the same question can still read this post. I suffered from cronic depression. I took celexa 40mg for about 5 years. I had been admitted into mental health facilities during this period, to be exact 4 times wanting to end my life.

The last episode 1 week ago was the closes ever and the police almost broke in my house.

This is when someone told me " if God created the earth and skies, why cant you ask him to help you?, if he created the world out of nothing, dont you think he can cure you?"

I was touched, and l decided to believe!!! I look up the sky and said, there's nothing imposible for you God so l give you myself to you. I stopped all medications to sleep, to wake up, for depression for whatever, and prayed for help.... l Have never been this happy!!!!! I sleep with no pills, l wake up refresed, l sing, smile and care about my kids like l had never ever before!!!!!

Please dont let anyone tell you you cant! If youcan realize that there is a God that created this world and created you, all you need is to believe in him and ask for help. There is nothing imposible. He created you and wants the best for you!!! Im a miracle!!!! And l wish all the people suffering as much as did can find hapiness as l did. Best wishes to all!!!!!

• Posted

Jonnybravo

I know it's been over a year you posted this but I'm going thru the exact same thing right now same years same dosage ... how long did it take you to full feel back to normal, when did ur withdrawal symptoms finally end because I am in hell right now!!! I'm desperate to know if this is gonna end soon

• Posted

I quit those but had to taper. It was pure hell. You need to  taper down this is what I did. I was on 10mg for two months only. I cut them in half for two week and then that would be 5mg. And then I stopped. This is what helped me. Vitamin D I found out I was super low so i was taking 10,000IU everyday still taking them. And NAC amino acid research both that helped like a lot the NAC with panic attacks and OCD. Pray also that helps put you in postivie light god can do miricles. SSRI are evil I wish I would of known facts before I started taking them. Good luck
    • Posted

I agree my anti depressant is the devil ... never again ... but I quit cold turkey a week ago its too late to turn back im past the brain zap stage and dizzy spells. I was feeling ok I was sleeping ok for what I expected ... I thought that was it I thought I was almost done but this weekend I started getting severely way to much energy where I couldn't even sit still to watch tv.. I been working out cause that's the only thing that has helped but only very little last night I cried laughed had nightmares couldn't stop shaking I kept having angry thoughts I just couldn't control myself I kept moving from the bed to the living room and not to mention my sex drive has gone from completely having any to having one of a teenager!! I literally am turned on all the time!! I sometimes think I'm possessed! This sounds crazy I know I'm sorry I just wanna know how much longer of this I have to go being only a week!!!! Or am I peaking right now ?!?? Omg this is so embarrassing to be posting !!! I'm a female 36 5ft 140 pounds losing weight rapidly !! Due to not eating for days to eating like a man randomly please help

• Posted

figured I would tell my experience on celexa. i am from the states amd this is my 2nd go at celexa. 1st time was years ago due to crazy anxiety and not so much depression. however the anxiety leads to it. started @ 20 for awhile and it worked then cut to 10. did that for a year or so and started drinking after 4 ys of sobriety. after some time of increased drinking i figured one had to go. so quit the celexa. got wasted bout every day for a few years and the anxiety in the mornings and evenings from hangovers got too much that i had to go to ER. told dr. i would get back on celexa because it had worked in the past. also quit getting wasted although have a beer from time to time but whilst on the celexa and some kind of ptsd from the anxiety, i just couldn't really enjoy the buzz..anyways, at some point i cut from 10mg to 5 and was fine for awhile. but in my head the thought of "i don't want to be on these forever..although it works per se, you cant really be yourself. kinda like a holding pattern permanently". that plus an unresolved issue with my daughter i have only seen once 17 ys ago, who now has had some interest in me although not as much as i would like due to my poor patience skills, andthe emotion from that coupled with running out and not being able to get more without doing a physical (costly) i cut down again to 2.5mg daily then every other day. 3rd day without and its a bit wierd. i sorta have weened i guess. feel some sorta anxiety but out it aside. sleep kinda there and kinda not. sex was fine on it mostly but hard to finish. now after a few days off it, it is easy to lose confidence and finish..hope this passes. i hope its not my head luring me into a false sense of security but i feel like the time on it helped and has ran its course. and my body is starting to tire of it. obviously I can't go back in time to the person I used to be well before the anxiety etc. but i miss that guy amd have gained some wisdom since and feel like i need to do it. wish me luck. same goes for all of you people as well

• Posted

I have been taking 5htp 50 or 100mg at night for anxiety and it works. research it b4 taking. make sure it has vit b6 with it works better.

also get a multi vitamin and some fish oil (that helps with inflamation of the brain and is very good for mood) 

• Posted

fish oil.. i have heard this and been meaning to give that a try so i will. what is 5htp? a typo?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.