Quitting

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a drink everyday for around 8 months and drank heavily for years and I had 2 days without it and I have had a beer, then a soft drink.

I truly believe that if your body isn't dependent on it and you don't have bad physical symptoms (I have constant sweat, nightmares and cravings, but that's nothing compared to paralysis) then you can truly get over it it.

If mild physical symptoms are what you have, you can do it. Be strong and do it

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are merely talking about the physical aspects of it. You do not understand the psychological aspect of alcohol. What long term drinking can do to the brain. I have my patient records from hospital and I had a CT scan because I had a bleed on the brain (acute haemorrhagic stroke) and the notes state that brain atrophy due to alcohol was present - you may want to Google that to understand it.

But what is more common, is that it affects the neural pathways and the brain becomes accustomed to alcohol. Where for most people, sober is normal, and being under the influnce is different to normal, with long term alcohol consumption, being under the infulence becomes the norm, and being sober is not the norm and the brain struggles to function.

People are all different, we all have different genetics and cope with alcohol in different ways. Just because something works for you, does not mean one size fits all.

• Posted

Everyone is different...I mathew could NOT quit after drinking even for days on end....and the hospital records unfortunately tell that tale that I DID have severe physcial symptoms after 5 days of drinking...just this past month.

My sodium dipped to a very low critical level..which could have caused me a stroke and death IF I did not go to the hospital for withdrawal.....

I have also been known to NOT eat when I drink...which causes my withdrawal to be very bad....AND I have been known to have delirium tremons...all which I WISH were preventable.

BUT...when this person puts alcohol in their system WITHDRAWALS WILL occur because THIS PERSON....can't stop nor take care of themselves when drinking.

• Posted

Everyone is different...I mathew could NOT quit after drinking even for days on end....and the hospital records unfortunately tell that tale that I DID have severe physcial symptoms after 5 days of drinking...just this past month.

My sodium dipped to a very low critical level..which could have caused me a stroke and death IF I did not go to the hospital for withdrawal.....

I have also been known to NOT eat when I drink...which causes my withdrawal to be very bad....AND I have been known to have delirium tremons...all which I WISH were preventable.

BUT...when this person puts alcohol in their system WITHDRAWALS WILL occur because THIS PERSON....can't stop nor take care of themselves when drinking.

• Posted

Whatever patient.uk......duplicating responses....because it looked like it didn't take it....so I do it again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.