Quitting atenolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with postpartum hypertension about four months ago. The doctors put me on nifidipine initially but it wasn’t working great so after a few weeks they added atenolol. I was on 90mg nifidipine and 100mg atenolol as of three months ago. My blood pressure started going down not long after that so they gradually decreased my meds to what I am left with now. I am off nifidipine but still on 50mg atenolol. Last week the doctor said to stop the atenolol since my BP was quite low. I didn’t question it, so 70 hours ago I took my last 50mg tablet. I have only just done a bit of reading online regarding this and apparently stopping atenolol suddenly is a no-no.

My question is, it has been nearly 72 hours now. I have a headache and palpitations now and again (mainly when I’m lying down) but nothing horrible or painful. I have been keeping an eye on my BP and the highest reading so far has been 119/83. Should I take the atenolol and go for a second opinion or just go ahead with the withdrawal? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I can honestly say I will never understand how a physician can cold turkey any of these medications

The first thing you should do is call the Doctor who stopped it abruptly and explain what’s happening and speak to him/her  about doing a taper off the medication versus stopping it all together... taking the drug again  and going to get a second opinion is a whole separate issue but  you need to be communicating with the doctor that stopped in the first place as they are the ones responsible for the decision  and I would be making that call ASAP 

If you’re having any distress I would report immediately to the emergency room and explain what happened

Best wishes  

• Posted

Shadowkat...Anything I know about beta blockers is that one should NEVER suddenly stop taking the med. Weaning is a must. I got this information not just from the leaflet, but from the Pharmacist as well. If you had been taking the Atenolol for just a few days, this may be a different story, but from what you've written, this isn't the case. I will guess you've been on the Atenolol just under 4 months.

I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but I do find it interesting that you were told to take 50mg to start with. I fail to understand why some doctors don't start with the minimum then increase if necessary. 

Tee19 gave you some good advice. By all means consult the Dr., & if your symptoms should worsten, get to the ER. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.