Quitting Citalopram after using it for less than 6 weeks, will it be hard?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been using Citalopram for about 6 weeks or so now. It did help a little but the side effect are way to annoying for me to continue using it. I've been reading a lot on people quitting Citalopram and having the worst time of their life and it scares me a lot. Any of you tried quitting Citalopram after only 6 or 8 weeks of use? Was it difficult? Of course I will ask my doctor soon but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience quitting after only a short period of usage.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello joel - 6-8 weeks would be considered enough time for the med to fully be in your system.

Everyone is different so you won't know if or what type of withdrawals you may have until you start tapering off the med. I would suggest you not rush trying to quit the med, rather take it as slow as possible if you can [which can take many months]. 

• Posted

I was put on 20mg was in it for two weeks then doctors upped it to 30mg which I was on for another two weeks my body could not handle it so he put me back down to 20 mg so this is my sixth week on them and I sometimes feel thay ain’t working for me and when I lie down and sometimes when walking I feel dizzy is this normal 
    • Posted

Yes for sure, I will call my doctor tomorrow and get some advice on how I should stop. I've read way to many horror story of people trying to quit cold turkey or by themselves! I regret taking those pills, I wish I never took them. I hope it won't be to difficult to get them off sad

• Posted

Jennifer - Unfortunately - Dizziness is a common side effect of the med.  sad

It may go away in a few weeks or you might want to check with your doctor to try a different SSRI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.