Quitting cold turkey after a week on.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am stopping use of Lexapro as my anxiety & depression has increased so much that I just cannot function properly. I'm in a constant state of rumination/obsessive thinking, anxiety, depression and I feel like a drugged up patient. I also do not want to put up with side-effects such as sexual dysfunction, which I am experiencing right now.  

My state before taking the medication was so mild compared to this. I only started taking the medication as a last straw for racing thoughts I get at night and to help myself in a depressive situation. Now I am putting up with the full adverse affect.   

Am I exposing myself to nasty side-effects such as "brain zaps"? going off 5mg's?  I've been told that I mostly won't even experience withdrawals as I am so early in the starter phase. My doctor will most definitely tell me to stop taking it, I will know in 3 days at the appointment. I just want off already! I want to feel like I did before taking it.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ppatrick,

Sorry to hear about your issues with Lexapro.

I posted a similar post to your only a week or two ago.  I was on 10 mg of escitalopram and like you was having too many side effects.  I had only been taking the drug for four or five days but decided to quit cold turkey.

I noticed some slight nausea and a slight headache for a half day or so and that was it.  No major withdrawal symptoms, at least for me.

Hope that helps.....

• Posted

Hi P,

This medication worsens your anxiety and depression before your body slowly starts to accept it and it begins to work, i suffered for 2 weeks plus the suddenly relief came, its almost same thing with other meds, but its your decision to make.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Patrick- did you get off the meds? Did the side effects go away??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.