Quitting Lexparo cold turkey - help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi friends - I was having uncomfortable hormonal side effects from Lexapro and decided to quit cold turkey. I know I'm not supposed to do it this way but I've only been on 5 mgs for 10 weeks so I figured it wouldn't be too bad?

Does anyone have advise for quitting this way? I have some minor withdrawal symptoms that I think I can deal with, but do you guys think its stupid for me to get off it this way. My doc told me to taper off but I just want out lol!

Thank you!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Erica.. Please taper off.. I would do half tablet for about a week then skip a couple days and take half a pill every other day for a week... The side effects may not hit u for a couple of weeks after u stop Lexapro... Keep us posted...😊

• Posted

How are you feeling with the Lexapro withdrawal? Are u still off of it and if so how did u feel? 

I was on 10mg for 4.5 weeks then went to 5mg for 9 days and now off for last 4 days. I feel dizzy at times, headache but overall not super bad. Just hoping it doesn’t get worse. 

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for everyone that responded to this! I wanted to give you guys a quick update.

So even though I knew should have tapered off, I was already like 5 days off of it when I posted this so I figured I'd power through. My withdrawals were not too bad... definitely an uptake in anxiety & ocd. The first week there were definitely a few dizzy spells, but after 1.5 to 2 weeks my body began to stabilize again so now I feel back to "normal" except that I'm back at square one in finding the right anxiety medication frown

Hopeful - I think you'll be fine because you were only on it for about a month and a half, but I'd of course consult the doc!

<3

• Posted

Thanks for the update! Glad you are doing well! I have only been on lexapro for 5 weeks total prior to stopping but have been on some form of SSRI for 14 years. So that makes me nervous stopping all of them after that long. Eeek!

Hoping for the best tho. smile

• Posted

How are you feeling with the Lexapro withdrawal? Are u still off of it and if so how did u feel? 

I was on 10mg for 4.5 weeks then went to 5mg for 9 days and now off for last 4 days. I feel dizzy at times, headache but overall not super bad. Just hoping it doesn’t get worse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.