Quitting Mirtazapine (Insomnia Help) Read if you're struggling.

Posted , 28 users are following.

I have been on mirtazapine for just over a year on all doses 15 to 45mg constantly upping then lowering the dose.

I have tried to quit multiple times due to the weight gain and haven't been able to cope with the insomnia. I can go days without sleep but get severely paranoid and delusional so it's out of the question.

I have tried many sleep aids and natural treatments. I have found one that works. 

Phenergan (Promethazine)

Now I know it may not work for everyone, but for it to me sleep after using something strong like mirtazapine for over a year, it's good.

I took mirtazapine for depression but depression never really lifted, I had a good nights sleep and that was all.

I take 75mg of Phenergan about an hour before bedtime and it allows me to sleep through the night. I highly recommend it for any of you struggling with the insomnia side effect of mirtazapine withdrawal

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there. 

Just stumbled on this site and posts... great find.  I have had enough of Mirtazapine (googled this morning something along the lines of extreme tiredness in morning Avanza and found site). 

My Dr suggested Mirt when I went to her with severe anxiety (early April this year) and could not sleep.  Everytime I went to go to sleep I would jump awake, fear fed the fear, hyperventilating etc... hopeless during the day too, but the no sleeping made it so much worse...   Taking Mirt seemed like a great easy solution at the time, as I felt that if I just had something to sleep and take the edge off my fear/anxiety I would mend and be okay. Dr assured me that Mirt was not addictive!? Really? I can feel it in my system so strongly...  I should have ran a mile when she looked at me and said "dont worry, we'll get you off it".

​Now I think it was an easy solution and a mistake.  Have put on weight, about 9kg, but was probs a bit underweight to start with at 5/7 and 57kgs... I dont like the weight gain, know I look okay, but it's just not me and stops me from doing things I would normally do (silly I know), but I am more concerned with my mental health, so bear taking it for fear of anxiety if I stop, or because Dr said she wanted me to stay on it for a year?? Still what I hate the most is my lack of get up and go in the mornings as I am not the person I used to be and get up out of bed motivated and exercise and this scares me most.  This lack of get up and sluggishness and which also makes me preoccupy about it, when I would say I was never overly down before, more scared of the anxiety than anything, and at the time did not know how anyone could live with such fear forever...

I have been on Mirt since early April 2015, but truly believe it would be in my best interests to get off it.  I feel like a wimp, and know that others are worse off, but I would really love some advice on how to best go about getting off Mirt.  For me, I am anxious about how to withdraw from it and cope as I have heard withdrawing in itself causes anxiety... I was on 15mg for a month (which immediately helped me to sleep, but it has always been at a cost of feeling sluggish and not myself), then upped this dose on the recommendation of my Dr to 30mg (last  7 or so months).  I have reduced this to 15mg for last four weeks and could feel the knawing of withdrawals in my head and nervious system and anxiety (the very reason I started having Mirt, so counterproductive?).  At time of extreme anxiety when I went to the Dr a mess, I had had a very tough year or too, but I would still say my main problem was anxiety and dealing with it, but was told that Mirt was great for treating anxiety? 

​I should mention I am 44 years old, mum of two, and have suffered with anxiety from time to time in my life (earliest memory 16), but usually deal with it better. 

​I have a supportive family, even though I would prefer not to bother my mum as she has bigger fish to fry with cancer treatment and I would prefer not to add to her worries, and a great husband, even though I dont think he comprehends what I am on about and the changes in me (hard to unless you have been there and i guess women and from Venus?? :-).  So,

sorry this message is a bit disjointed, but I would really love any help/suggestions you could give me on my journey to get Mirt out of my system?   Dietary?  Exercise? Breathing Exercises, I am willing do them all... and know that I will have to work at my anxiety as coming off Mirt is liking to cause anxiety in itself...

​In Aus Phenergen is offered over the counter recommended in 12.5 to 25mg doses for children and upto 50mg for adults and varying reasons such as motion sickness, sedation and help with apprehension prior to surgery and also for allergies.  It was suggsted to me by another GP  the day before I could get in to see my regular Dr (prior to starting Mirt)  I wish I would have perservered and given the Phenergan a shot first??

• Posted

Hi Joz

You know, it sounds like you have done really well tapering from 30 to 15 mg in one go, although I see you've had symptoms doing this.  From here it would be best to go much slower.

I am going to send youu a private message.

Wishing you well. x

• Posted

Hi job. I am too the same age as you and also started having theses problems at the age of 15. It is really hard hun and I do understand totally how u feel. I too hated mirtazapine and was on it a year going up to full dose. It did nothing for my anxiety too. Felt worse and Wright gain. About 4 months in I started taking duloxetine along side it. And slowly started feeling much better. 6 months on I am now off mirtazapine and withdrawal is tough. Don't want to make your anxiety worse by massive details for you. Maybe try starting another antidepressant along side before you start running it down. Just a suggestion. It helped me. Then my mood didn't drop right down by stopping the mirtazapine. If you want more info I can let you know. But everybody's withdrawal is different. Just take it very slowly whatever you decide to do. Big hugs. Sarah. Xx
    • Posted

Sorry..... Joz...... Spelling on auto. Xx
    • Posted

I honestly feel for you, especially because you are a Mother. I'm hoping people can recommend a good withdrawing  process for you. I just got to the point of hating it so much I threw what I had left so I couldn't get my hands on it..

I wouldn't recommend anyone do it in the way I did purely because it could backfire and really be far more harmful than positive rolleyes

I will stand by my post and say phenergan saved me from the insomia that was forcing me to carry on taking mirtazapine and I am now not taking anything to sleep and can sleep on my own which is a relief!

I have heard it doesn't affect everyone but it is a ray of hope for those of us who cannot cope with the insomnia side effect of withdrawing.

I hope things work out for you, good luck with it all!

• Posted

Hi I would like to join the Facebook mirtazapine withdrawal as I’m struggling at the moment to get out of it and need some advice please. Would you please let me know how to join please. Thank you very much
  • Posted

Hi all

Been on mirt for about 3 years. I have been reducing slowly and have got off it for a week then the wd come. No eating no sleeping and feel sick. It gets so bad I take half a tablet just to eat a full meal and feel great for about another week. Does anyone have any ideas on how to beat wd so I can get off this for good?

• Posted

Wowwww Glen, what a muddle !!  Lets start at the beginning ... its important to know how did you do your taper, what dose and how long at each dose - which you say above was slow.

Also, what do you mean you are taking half a tablet - how many times and how often?

I researched for quite some time before my taper off Mirt', I did a very slow taper too and just want to try and save others from the suffering of Mirt discontinuation.

Please note that you have clicked on an old discussion link, the people above may not reply as they could have left the site since a year ago -but never mind.

Wishing you well smile

• Posted

Hi.

What's the Facebook page? I'd love to join!

• Posted

How is the mirtazapine taper going now?  I am having problems with it too.
  • Posted

Wow, I thought I was alone with the mirtazapine withdrawals. I quit successfully (sorta) for a year, then went through a bad breakup, and got back on Remeron. I tried to quit again about 6 months ago, and the nausea + lack of sleep made it impossible, so I caved and got back on it again. It's incredibly frustrating, and no doctor understands why the WD symptoms last so long, or how to handle it.

I'm going to try the Promethazine to see if it helps. Can someone invite me to the Facebook group?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.