Quitting smoking can be easy with the right mindset !

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been a smoker since I was 14 & I am now 55 & for the last few years have been on roughly 30 a day, I have also been a "serial quitter" packing in for anything from 2 days to 6 weeks but always convinced myself that I would eventually take up the habit again. I have tried patches, lozenges, gum & those stupid god awful vapourisers only to give in & start smoking again. I am now on day 18 of my new life as a non smoker with a new mindset on the whole thing. I just get by with a mixture of normal & nicotine gum, I suffer from poor circulation in my legs due to years of football, outside manual work & psoriasis on my feet, it took 2 minutes with my GP to convince me to give up after learning that smoking will make my condition worse with a real possibility of amputation, a light switched on & I no longer want to smoke, it frightened me to death. I do get cravings but just ignore them now & just seem to have positive thoughts all the time, also this is the first time that I have embarked on Stopping smoking with the the cast iron felling that I WANT to do it, I wish I had done it properly years ago !

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy,

That's nice to hear! I am sure you will keep to no smoking, in many ways I was like you, but much worse.

I started when I was about 13 or 14 years old... And, like you tried many ways of quitting but I lacked the will power I think. The longest I did pack it in for was 1 week, years ago, but I was offered one and that started me off again.

The next part is what many people think I was crazy. I lost my father to Colon Cancer he also smoked and gave it up about 14 years before he died. The week of his funeral I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer, that hit me for six, since it was less than a week before my dad died. I was booked in to hospital had the testical removed, and on the same day at night I sneaked out the front of the hospital for a smoke. Not even thinking what I had done, a girl (well, a lot younger than me asked for a light, I said sure here ya go!) anyway we were talking, then she asked what I was having done, I said "Well, I have had it done earlier, but it was Testicular Cancer!" - She was shocked that I was still smoking even. This month I come out of remission, Testicular Cancer carries a 7 year remission period.

I was smoking around 30-40 a day like yourself, a doctor came up to me just before I left hospital to come home, and and said you really should kick that habit, I said to him I know.

A few years passed and on one Saturday afternoon I had the most awful stabbing pains coming from my stomach.... I was rush in by Ambulance, operated on the same night, in the process I had to sign the consent form before the operation. After the operation I asked what it was, the surgeon said well if it had gone any further you would have died!!! Basically, part of my intestines died inside me, so I was dying from the inside out. 50cm of my intestines was removed on the Tuesday, gawd it was so painful... by Thursday, I should have been improving but I didn't - I couldn't even keep down my own medication. Then I started throwing up Bile, I mean this was like a scene of the exorcist, I was down to surgery very quickly, I could not even sign the consent form at all. I was put to sleep and opened back up, what had happened was I part of my intestine had touched another part of me, and that had passed the gangrene back to the intestine.. More of my intestine was removed and part of the gland that had also started to turn gangrene. I spent nearly a month in hospital, stuck in a bed on high dosages of painkillers. The full recovery period was over 10 months, but when I came out of hospital I threw all cigarettes and ash trays in the bin. I had no intention of ever smoking again, because there was a chance that it could return if I didn't stop.

That Andy, was how I packed it in.... I wasn't even asked! Spending nearly a month in a depressing hospital was enough for me. I'm 51 now... and still going!

I have now not smoked for nearly 3 and half years and I feel better for it.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Tomorrow will be day 19 and before you know it, you will be counting the months. Youll probably cough and splutter for weeks, clearing your lungs. Keep telling yourself that you are a non smoker. Seriously well done, you are now where you probably many times dreamed of being. Avoid temptation. Enjoy fresh breath, hair and clothes. Be kind to yourself. X
  • Posted

Well done andy. The positive thoughts will see you through, welcome to being a non smoker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.