Quitting statins and taking coq10, any side effects from coq10

Posted , 3 users are following.

I quit taking atorvastatin 3.5 months ago and still have mild headaches and balance issues. I had other side effects while on the statin and most of them have subsided. I read alot on the forum how coq10 has helped, are any of you having side effects from taking this supplement. I would like to try something as the Dr's say physically there's nothing wrong with me but I keep mentioning the mild pressure/headaches and balance issue's and I get no answers. Feedback on coq10 and other remedies would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Scott, just wondering, did the imbalance start when you began the statins? There are quite a few side efects with COQ10 inc dizziness.. which may be exacerbating your condition.
    • Posted

It started after about 6 or 7 weeks of being on the statin, 20 MG of atorvastatin. I was on statin for about 6 months and Dr's couldn't explain all the side effects. Headaches, memory loss, vision problems, muscle spasms on occasion and mild vertigo. I quit on my own and some of those symptoms have cleared up but still have the mild headaches and balance issue's after 3 months. Had an MRI of brain and nothing to be found. Haven't tried coq10 yet but am wondering if I should give the healing process more time before trying more meds.

Scott

• Posted

Scott, I have heard many bad things relating to statins. I was offered them by my GP and I flat refused to take them. I am so wary of taking anything now without thoroughly researching first. In my humble opinion, I would give it more time and see how you go. If it becomes very bothersome you could ask your GP for some tablets to help with vertigo it may well help you. Fingers crossed you get better soon. 
  • Posted

If you have balance issues that could cause the vertigo an Equilibrium physiotherapist can diagnose that
    • Posted

Also scott I have had positional vertigo and vertigo caused by problems with my neck. medications havent worked.

Common causes of vertigo include Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) which is intense, brief episodes of vertigo immediately following a change in the position of your head; inflammation in the inner ear which can cause an onset of intense vertigo that may persist for several days; Meniere’s Disease which involves a build-up of fluid in the inner ear, characterized by sudden episodes of vertigo l

• Posted

Hi jane,

I do have lots of neck and shoulder pain from having throat and neck cancer, the pain runs up the back of my neck into side of my head and middle ear. It could be caused by that neck strain/pain. No pain killers for me, more massage and accupunture might help. Don't know about physiotherapy yet..

Scott

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.