Quitting yet another job

Posted , 4 users are following.

So deja vu I'm here again quitting another job. Seems like I've done this too many times. I just have such a hard time feeling comfortable somewhere I just can't resist the urge to run away. This was I thought the first job where I felt the most comfortable and myself, until I broke up with the guy I was dating who I also worked with and there was talk of him flirting with another girl there and boom I feel so awkward and I can't shift it. I think I suffer with social anxiety or agrophobia. I worked in a shop and something like going into my work place when I'm not working would make me so uncomfortable for some reason. I think I'm just a very private person I don't know but I hate it. I feel like I can't think straight and be myself and I've gotten like it with my family now and it's so crap I need to sort it out. I'm on citalopram now was 10mg for a month and almost 3 weeks on 20mg now and still feeling no better! I'm scared to increase incase I get any worse, don't feel like I'm self aware enough to really know the difference either to be honest. I can't explain myself well at all so feel so lost. Don't really know the point of this post just thought it might help to get it out but maybe not. I'm 26 by the way and still living with my mum who moves house all the time I know I need to move out but I never feel like I get comfortable enough to stay in a job. I feel very pathetic for feeling like this I know there's people so much worse off than me and I should get a job move out and sort myself out now but it really feels hopeless.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It takes a few weeks for meds to kick in properly.

Consider a career change everyone has to work so choose something you feel comfortable with.

Consider therapy it teaches you how to cope with anxiety/panice and not let it take over your life

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Try and get a low stress job with few employer people involved. They exist. Pet stores, janitors (after school shift) , google it.
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I've never had a job for more than two years and I'm almost 24! I have felt so worthless in the past because of it, but I have had a couple of jobs I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, I suck with coping with my depression and anxiety. I had to quit my last job because of panic attacks. That was a real blow to my ego and self esteem.

My advice? Take any of your accomplishments and put them into perspective. For example, you've had many jobs before! You've learned many skills along the way--skills you can transfer to another job/career. There are so many people out there who have NEVER had a job due to their anxiety or inability to commit. They never even try (not trying to shame anyone out there). You've TRIED. That is such a big step! Also, consider exploring until you find a job type you're most comfortable with. My longest lasting job involved clerical type of stuff so now my goal is to find a similar job in the hopes that I'll keep it. 

Best wishes smile

• Posted

Also, I think medication is a good direction to be going in. I'm considering going on meds as well.
  • Posted

I have quit 3-4 jobs this year. I hate my jobs and the longest I've been able to stay is 8 months. I have extreme anxiety and dread going to my high pace costumer service jobs. I have quit so many jobs that I am good at interviews and quitting. I have an urge to escape for no reason at some times. I realize quickly that I made a mistake and I hate my job so I feel trapped and over whelmed so I quit. Being a serial quitter affects my long term relationship with my boyfriend because he gets concerned and I want him to mind his own sometimes. My parents give me crap for it but I cant seem to change 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.