Quivering heart and skipped heartbeats

Posted , 14 users are following.

It feels like my heart quivers on and off through out the day and sometime they would feel like hard thumps. I had 7 ekgs, 48 hour holter, blood work, echocardiogram, and stressed test and everything is normal. These quiverw and thumps happens everyday and at least up to 30 a daym. However, im wondering if i should still be worried?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Angela

Sorry to hear you are suffering with your heart. Despite what is said on these forums by people you can't help but worry. We can only take comfort from the fact we are told nothing is structually wrong with our hearts and as long as it is beating that's ok. All we can try and do is relieve the effects of the arrythmia and different methods work for different people.

The one's I find best are controlled breathing or positioning my body in a certain way usually sitting up and leaning forward.

I'm having a blood test this week to check my magnesium levels as some people find this can be a cause.

Hope you find this or something else useful.

Gap

• Posted

Look up "ectopic heart beats". You should find it reassuring. I've had them for 40-odd years and am still plodding on.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice. I also had my magnesium levels checked too and it was normal. Its reassuring that many people suffer from this

• Posted

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I too, have similar issues. I feel my hear beating irregularity daily, random hard thumps and then it feels like it stops for a second. If I go from a standing to laying position quickly it beats so off rhythm for a few beats, it's the weirdest thing! I feel it quiver and do summersaults it feels like I'm my chest. I've had all the tests done as well, and they say it's all good. This group has been such a blessing to see we are not alone!
    • Posted

Anna20249, my quivering, thumps, and irregular heartbeats had subside a bit now. I learned that if i ignore them and carryon with my day, i dont feel them as often. I also had my GERD under control and oh my, it made a huge difference. I also noticed that if i lower my stress level, it comes on less. Ive been meditating by telling myself im fine and that im healthy. I feel that eating healthy plays a big role into stopping the irregularities. I on a gluten free diet and i feel it happening less also.
  • Posted

Hi

I have had the same though they more or less coincided with the start of acid reflux. Wondering if there is a connection? The reflux has mostly stopped but the heart symptoms continue. I can be sitting watching TV and not stressed about anything when I get it.  Mostly it seems to be brought on by eating or drinking or just turning over if I have been relaxing on the sofa. Sometimes it is minor and sometimes I feel as if I have to clutch my chest to keep my heart still! It's very unnerving when this happens. Had an ECG which was normal - but all was quiet that day. Due to be fitted with a 24hr monitor but worried that it won't catch it happening. Guess I will have to eat and drink a lot! Part of me wants them to find something as proof that I am not making it up. The other part doesn't want them to find anything..

I just had a blood test to check for anaemia as that can be a cause but it was OK. Don't know if they checked for magnesium.

Ps I read somewhere that if you cough it brings the rhythm back to normal? That does seem to help.

• Posted

Chris,

I got those thumps and quivers this morning. However, I started burping afterwards. I also experience some quivering as well. I had a few that were hard that I had to cough. I still get worried but they are happening less now. I get light headed and a racing heartbeat as well. But I know it's prob due to anxiety when those skipped beats and thumps happens. About a month ago,  I got all my levels checked and they seem to be fine. I had a 48 hour monitor put on and my PVS or ectopic heartbeats were evident in the results but not enough to be worried about. Let me know how your 24 hour monitor goes. Keep me updated.

• Posted

I'm going to start a diary of when it happens and if I was eating - what I was eating. I've looked up causes and they list dehydration as one possible cause.

Well that could be me so making more of an effort. 

Chrissy

• Posted

Hi I have had these horrible beats for 11 years now. I have learned that fatigue, dehydration, caffeine (in any form ) and unfortunately sugar contribute towards causing the ectopics!

In my lay mans mind there is always a link with digestion and the beats. I have gone glutin free to avoid bloating which again sets them off. Also exercise that shakes my body ie running sets them off.

It's working out what triggers yours and working around then. I have found that generally people who suffer them suffer similar triggers!

Best of luck

• Posted

I get mine early in the morning and mostly after a heavy meal. Drinking wine also sets mine off. It sucks.
  • Posted

I just started with these PVC's on March 4th after running 3 miles on my treadmill.  Now I get them every time I try to exercise when my heart rate starts to climb and when it comes down after exercise I have bigeminy every others beat for 4-5 minutes until my heart rate comes down.  My echo was fine stress test showed exactly what is happening.  I was told to cut caffeine - I only drink 2 cups in morning but have cut that.  I can't exercise now without getting them and they are scary.  They said mine were adrenaline induced.  I can't take a beta blocker to control my BP is low 103/56 most days.  I had bloodwork and am not deficient in anything.  I started taking 400mg of magnesium.  I meet with an echo physiologist cardiologist next week that specializes in electrical impulses of heart.  Mine is coming from right ventricle upper valve ROVT they said.  In order for me to live my life normally and exercise and be active (which I have been all my life) I could take an arrhythmia med or consider an ablation.  I have read that exercise induced PVC's are more of a concern.  I don't have stress till this started happening.  I am very active and fit, eat healthy.  Has anyone else had their dr. Mention ablation to fix?
    • Posted

Hi!

Well let me know if an ablation cures your ectopics as it did not cure mine.  My 1st ablation cured my SVT though. I think it is a much more complicated ablation to cure ectopics but it just depends on what area of the heart they are going after.  Keep posting.

• Posted

Hi there ,

I have the same issue. Every time I use the stairs or do anything physical I know my heart will go out of rhythm and then beat normal again.

I can't seem to do anything that gets me going otherwise my heart goes wild.

I was diagnosed with SVT and had an ablation done and it did help somewhat. I should add I went into cardiac arrest during the procedure. That was scary. Now I have anxiety attacks all the time.

I've been to two cardiologists and both say my heart is fine but I know what I'm experiencing and it's scary.

I find my heart also has those quivering episodes one week before my menstrual cycle. I also noticed I burp lots after having an episode.

I'm always afraid to be alone in case anything were to happen to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.