RA - acute pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. Since yesterday, I've been experiencing acute pain - first in my right hip, inner thigh and left shoulder; now it's moved to my right wrist and I'm getting stabbing pains in my wrist and hand. I cant close my right hand or use it all. I barely slept last night and tonight is looking to be the same.

I'm on Plaquenil, although have to admit to being a little inconsistent in taking it lately. Added to that I've been tapering Prednisone from 5 gradually to 0. I've taken Plaquenil and Naproxen today and Paracetamol.

I'm still in a lot of pain and don't know what to do to alleviate it. Any advice appreciated! Also, is this a normal occurrence that i should come to expect? I've been fairly lucky so far in that I was diagnosed a year ago and have only had relatively minor flares - compared to this one at least!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried icing for 10 minutes on and off... aspercreme also helps me sometimes!
    • Posted

Thank you!

I'd tried heat but not ice until later last night / early this morning. It really helped!

• Posted

Hi..sorry for your pain. I can identify.  What helps my flare ups... ice 15 min on heat 15 min.

Arnica gel is amazing, although not long lasting, you must re apply every hour or so.

Have you tried a diet consisting of lots of leafy greens, and low fat and sugar? The Mediteranean diet?

Also 1000 mgs of fish oil capsules three times a day with a meal.

Tumeric with black pepper pills.. 600 mg once a day.

These are all natural de inflammatory medications and take time, but truly lower your inflammation.  Good luck and get off the prednisone !!

• Posted

Thank you! All really helpful tips.

I've been reading about the natural remedies, such as diet and supplements. I'm going to give some of them a go!

• Posted

Are we in the alternative forum? Most offerings here are about alternative help, so I'm not sure...

It may be that you are reducing your prednisolone too fast and the symptoms are returning with a vengeance. It does happen. Preds needs to be reduced very slowly and watchfully. And sometimes it can't be reduced to zero at all without a return of symptoms.

And being inconsistent with plaquenil or any of these horrid drugs is a bad idea.

Also, did you GP approve a mix of paracetamol and naproxyn? Usually we stick to one painkiller for a period and then switch to another.

On the alternative front, have you tried a TENS machine? can work wonders with pain.

I've been having similar relapses with pain in neck, shoulders, elbows and arms. Shoots, sears, burns, stabs and stiffens... and then rests for a bit. Learning to live with pain is the cross we RA sufferers bear...

• Posted

Thanks for this. I'm frustrated with myself as I think I got complacent after not having pain for a while, so was too relaxed with the medication. I'm wondering if I should go back to my GP about the Prednisone.

I wouldn't normally take Paracetamol too, but was in so much pain last night that I thought it may help.

I haven't tried a TENS machine. I'll take a look.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi: As far as an "Alternative forum" I think big gun drugs are fine for arthritis (I have Psoratic) but we should all be open to integrated medicine. Prednisone can truly take a toll on the body over the years. I know from watching my own Mother who had RA.  Dr Weill's book "Mind over Medicine" is a nice partner to keep on your beside along with whatever your Doctor is prescribing.  Just saying, we should be open to natural remedies as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.