RA and coeliac disease.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has Rheumatoid Arthritis and also Coeliac Disease? I've read people with RA may have greater risk of having or developing Coeliac Disease, any thoughts.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martin

I don't have celiac but have inflammatory arthritis and crohn's. and both doctors tell me that bowel problems can occur with RA. It's difficult trying to treat both. Several medicines have failed for me. I see the gastroent. tomorrow to try and come up with a new treatment. I have been tested for celiac and I don't have it.

• Posted

Hi Martin.I dont know of a direct connection with coeliac disease. I do have gluten sensitivity and he gastro consultant thought it likely I had sensitised my git so to treat it s coeliac a. The coeliac test f eating tons of gluten, high i frankly couldn't face s o I dont eat gluten or dairy o(apart from goat) and I keep well gut wise! The book entitled "inflamed" the author s a ioung American woman ywith RA ho is a dietitician is definitely worth read about aood intolerance . If you direct em me i will check the author or you .

• Posted

thanks for the info on the book. I will look into it. Restarting biologic Cimzia tomorrowHelps RA symptoms but not gut issues thus far

I tolerate it OK compared to Humira, methotrexate and sulfas. drug

Gloria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.