RA and opening bottles, what to do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I've had RA for 11years, since I was 17. I've now reached a stage where my medications helps my flare ups. However, my fingers are swollen permanently, and my right wrist has no flexibility. I find it hard to open bottle caps. Is there a tool to assist if no one is around to open them for me?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My mother used to tell the grocery store clerk "if you will loosen this top for me, I will buy it".  Yes there are automatic  bottle openers.  Google or search Amazon and you will find them.  Otherwise enlist whom you can!  I have been known to save difficult items for visits from my son.  Heat will help with vaccuum packed items by increasing the pressure inside.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I looked everywhere nothing suitable for my complaint (water bottles especially). I will continue to look, thank you!
    • Posted

I have what is normally a nutcracker that is ideal for small size water bottle tops. On that famous site named after a river in the southern hemisphere one that looks like it is listed as Eddingtons top cracker or Kitchen Craft Bar Craft nutcracker. Can you get your hands around that?
  • Posted

I always have that problem but I prise the handle end of teaspoon under rim of jar til hear air release then turn with rubber mat.if its a new plastic bottle I lay it on side and chop the seal with knife then hold onto it with rubber mat and turn.its hopeless when you have no strength or flexibility
  • Posted

Hei, with water bottles - try to hold the bottle steady between your legs, put a towel or similar around the cap and turn until it's partially open. You can do it even when the fingers are stiff. Works for me (try not to open it too much so it won't spill out :-)) In general, asking for help always helps. For me, there are days when I can open *almost everything and days when I actually use teeth to hold the cap... My son can open water bottles faster than I do [not sure if I should insert here a sad or a happy smile]. By the way, if you do not refill bottles there are caps that you can use without actually opening the cap - there are sport corks around for quite a while. Sorry that I could not be more helpful.
  • Posted

search for water bottle opener or soda bottle opener.  There are lots of small gadgets that look useful.  You simply need leverage for the top and something like a wet towel to hold the bottom.  To open plastic milk bottles, I use a fork to separate the ring from the screw top.
  • Posted

I was staying at my sister's recently and she had a weird-looking  all-purpose opener that looked a bit like a multiple layered single handcuff with handles for leverage.

It was a series of concentric rings with cog-like spikes on each inner rim for gripping, and a handle to open it up and adjust it to size. Not unlike a large multi-layered nut cracker.

It is designed to accommodate all sizes of jars, bottles – lids of all kinds.

Don't know where she got it but I could email and ask if you like.

• Posted

Thank you so much, that would be helpful. Having to ask all the time for assistance is so depressing. Even when I go out my friends usually open bottles for me before I get my hand on it.
    • Posted

The thing I suggested and the thing Light has described sound similar - except the one I mentioned is a cone-shaped head with handles. It would only fit smaller bottle tops.

If it is any consolation KAF, I don't have RA but most bottles defeat me too!

• Posted

Here's what she wrote: "The opening tool you asked about is made by Brabantia and you can get it on the Internet. "

I haven't checked it out, I leave that to you. But I hope it goes small enough. Maybe you need Eileen's as well and then you're covered!

• Posted

If you have not checked it out so far. I would suggest you " google jar bottle opener " then click images.

​You will see a wide selection of choices

• Posted

Avon did one if you know anyone near you who is a rep ask them if they can order one for you there about £7-8

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.