RA fatigue more symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone I've had RA for about 5 months now, they found it while I was deployed bc I woke up swollen I'm my hand knee foot and jaw, I've been on methotrexate about 4 months now and just started humira 2 weeks ago, woke up today and I'm swollen and hurting in places I've never had it before today it right hand, right knee, left foot, left toe, left jaw, and left elbow, I'm like geez is there anywhere else??? Anyways I feel like crap I'm exhausted I feel like I've been laying in the sun all day just tired etc how do I cope with this, I am in the military, a dad, and a student I'm 26 years old and after all my dad duties are done I usually do homework but I'm so exhausted and fatigue it's affecting my work! Any advice

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

So sorry you are feeling this way.

I wish I had the answers for you. I too am a parent and in my final year of a mental health nursing degree...and it's all too much.

I'm not on humira but am on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

Maybe 5 months isn't long enough for the stuff to start working for you? I know everyone says "listen to your body" but sometimes responsibilities don't allow that!

I sincerely hope you find some answers, just know that you are not alone!

• Posted

Dear Chris, I'm sorry to hear your plight. I have two teenagers so they are relative independent. I try to work full time but I am unable to due to the fatigue. I take my hat off to you trying to deal with this horrible disease, I struggle most days but I have good support. I send my support and empathy. All the best!

• Posted

I think that it is too soon for the humira to have started to work and reduce your pain.  You have been on Methotrexate awhile so you most likely are tolerating it.   I felt much worse on that medicine and I was not even anywhere near the dosage needed to provide relief.   My pain seemed so much worse on that drug.   Hoping after another injection or 2 of humira you will start to get much needed relief

Don't know if they can give you low dose prednisone or pain medication til the humira starts to 'kick in' for you.   Let the doc or nurse know what is happening

Best of luck      

• Posted

Likewise sorry to hear of your condition. I always resort to prednisone when necessary as it really is a pain beater. It may be too soon for other meds to have kicked in so don't dispair. Hope things improve soon.

• Posted

Do we take prednisone only when we feel pain? We can stop taking it anytime ?
    • Posted

You can't just take prednisone when you feel bad. It has to be a course of them. Right now I am on a three week course due to pain. You have to increase dose slowly and then come off them slowly. Some stay on them long term but I didn't like that as they also have bad effects on your bones. Its a fine line as to how and when you take them but your doc must advise you on this.

• Posted

Thank you Sherry. My doc gave me prednisolone but she didn't say how long I will be on it . I'm only seeing her in three months !!! She didn't even tell me the side effects and how shd I take it. I'm on 5 mg daily and its my fourth day taking it. How do I slowly taper it off if I feel better? Anyone can give me any advise please.

• Posted

Well I would stay on it even if you feel better as you may slip back again. Its not a very high dose so its not going to do any damage. But has she given you a months supply? If so you need to get another prescription . if you are on it for a while and you want to come off it you must lower the dose day by day. My course is one week 7.5mg then second week 5mg and last week 2.5mg and then I can stop them. See how you feel after say 3 weeks. But you do need to treat them carefully. They can make you eat more, give you more energy and if used long term can give you a roundish moony face! Not recommended . my weight has increased so that's why I don't want to take them too long this time.

• Posted

Thks so much sherry. she gave me whole mth supply and our system here is to collect our prescription monthly . So I'm guessing she is expecting me to take it for 3 months until seeing her again. Yes i read we hv to watch our diet . Try eating healthy and regular exercise a 30mins walk daily might help us to maintain weight . I wish u get well soon.

• Posted

Yes there is a lot of talk about diets etc. I have always been a veggie and now trying to become vegan. But I have tried various diets in the past like not eating wheat and gluten and other things but nothing has worked. Some of us are just unlucky and get RA and whilst trying to be healthy I will not get obsessed about eliminating so many of the foods that some suggest. But that's just my decision. I need some enjoyment!

• Posted

Hi Sia

5 mg is a low dose. I expect she s giving you that for 3 months while something else has a chance to work. You may not get any side effects on a low dose but pred does help to reduce inflammation. Also you mustn't suddenly stop.

• Posted

Sia be a bit wary of some responses on here. If seen they are deleted by administrators!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.