RA & knee issues anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone here who has RA suffer from knee pain in the back of the knee? The first time it happened it was so painful I could barely walk. It feels first like my knee is full of fluid, then the back of it aches so badly it feels like I have a baker's cyst, but I don't. Then I get an achey pain on the outer edges of the knee cap, like the feeling you get when you have the flu and your skin hurts. Does anyone else deal with this? It seems like every day there is a new pain that seems crazy to be related to RA, but what else could it be?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had that once. It was scary because I truley was crippled for a couple of days. Thankfully, the pain lessened as the day went on and it was gone within a couple of days. How long does your last?
    • Posted

It usually lasts 2-3 days, like yours. It isn't long term but dang, it hurts! And my shoulders go out too. I'm so tired of my body having these super painful episodes. It's exhausting. sad
  • Posted

How long have you had RA? I've had it 4 years and I've been fortunate to have a milder case. I pray it stays that way.. My flares are usually asymmetrical and will be in a wrist, a hand, finger, knee, ankle or foot. I have also had shoulder and hip problems but my doctor doesn't think they are RA related, but I wonder. I'm doing everything I can to stay off the drugs I hear everyone talk about in this chat group. I take plaquenil and NSAIDS.

• Posted

Yes, I actually suffer from this worse than an actual joint itself. I had a steroid injection which totally got rid of it for three or so months. Maybe discuss that with your consultant?
  • Posted

Yes I have the same problem, very painful and hard to walk. I went to Walgreens and bought hinged knee braces and they work fantastic. They do not take the deep in the knee pain away but they do help a lot with the back of the knee pain. they allow me to walk when without them I could hardly walk at all. Good luck and do try the knee braces. I only have to wear them for a couple days, then they set on a shelf until the next knee flarup. 
  • Posted

My pain is under the kneecap. Feels like fluid is knocking it out of alignment. Had it drained once, only lasted a week. Now I'm being told (not by a rheum) that this could be osteo. Knee also clicks when I move my leg. Neutrophils were high on the fluid test.

I'm being treated for RA but doubt I have it. Had PMR for 2 years and pred still seems to be the only thing that works. MTX, plaquenil, and sulfa-something aren't working. Going for a blood test Monday.

Haven't had a RF test. Rheum. used another test out of California called Vectra DA. Anybody heard of that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.