RA meds and severe constant nausea for last 4 years; can someone please help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36 years old female. I was diagnosed with RA 5 years ago. After being on Prednisone and oral methotrexate for a year, chronic stomach issues started; including heart-burn, constant nausea, vomiting and bloated stomach. I tried switching to MTX injections to bypass GI tract; stomach issues continued. 2 upper endoscopies, CT scans, US, Gastric emptying tests conducted; I have Hiatus hernia; but as per GI's, hernia is not causing nausea. I was on Prednisone for 3.5 years; gained 40lbs, dental cavities, moon face, sleep disorder; stopped it 1.5 years ago. As per GI’s, stomach issues are caused by MTX and prednisone side-effects. However, even after stopping these meds, chronic nausea persists. I have tried all kinds of meds for nausea-OTC, Zofran, Compazine, Promethazine, aroma-therapy, sea-bands, homeopathy and acupuncture, over the years; with little help.

I am still struggling with severe nausea 24/7, along with RA joint pain and sleep issues. I am not being able to work, drive or live a normal life for last 5 years. I am very limited to what I can eat; can’t tolerate any oral meds anymore. I wake up daily with severe nausea and joint pain; nausea gets worse by any strong smell, heat, if stomach’s empty for long. I am currently on Enbrel, but soon switching to Cimzia for RA. I am going for acupuncture 2-3 times a week, for last 8 months; it’s helping, but not curing my nausea. Please advise, if anyone else has severe nausea, induced by RA meds or otherwise. I am desperately looking for answers. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Please HELP!!! Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know what its like having nausea every day,although Ido not have RA?  It is so hard waking up to the awful nausea, the medications just dont help. Its difficult to even drink water. Mine has been worse since gallbladder out and had clots in lungs, oral med for that makes me feel worse.  Eating, well you will know what I mean when i say i just cant, smell of food is offputting too.  What is there for people like us?  Would blood work show up something else? Or endoscopy? My sympathy to you. Its just horrid.
  • Posted

Hi Friends, Has anybody tried Anti-depressants/Zoloft to help with severe nausea? Can you please share your experience and withdrawal symptoms, if any?. I would really appreciate any help/advise. Thanks.
    • Posted

Yes i tried, it made my nausea worse so did as long as i could manage, three weeks, then had to stop as the anti nausea pills werent even dealing with it.  Lots of people use it but for me with hernia, gallbladder now out etc. It just wasnt a good one.

have you found anything at all which helps your daily nausea even a little?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.