RA, OA, ESR and CRP?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can someone please tell me whether with RA and OA there is always elevated ESR and/or CRP?  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

No...
    • Posted

Quoting some of the rheumies that I am "happy" to know - only about 10-15% of population have all the "right" (elevated/abnormal) blood tests' symptoms. The diagnosis is based on clinical pain/swelling evaluation + Xrays + CT + MRI. Blood tests may hint which RA you are having (there are more than 300 types) but they do not rule out that you have any of these. 
    • Posted

Which leads me to wonder why they have such a problem with PMR patients who are - to use their words - "atypical". Since most of these "atypical" patients are fairly typical of most of us rolleyes

However - "nice" to know that it isn't significantly different for you! I often wonder why some rheumies decided it was the speciality for them. I can only assume that pathology or anaesthetics were too difficult for them... 

• Posted

And forgot to ask - did the "No" mean no no-one can tell her or "No" they aren't always elevated?
    • Posted

"No" as these are not always elevated. The other option didn't cross my mind at the time of typying...

As for choice of profession vs accuracy? Good conjecture...

• Posted

"If your doctor suspects you have arthritis, he or she may have your blood drawn to determine which type of arthritis you have. In people with osteoarthritis, blood tests are not usually abnormal, but with other types of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, certain tests will help with a proper diagnosis." (from Web md)

ESR and CRP show there is inflammation in the body - they won't be raised in OA because that isn't an inflammatory disease, it is simply damage to the cartilage in the joints. They are also non-specific - they aren't directly related to the disease process. Often in RA they lag behind a flare - patients will know they are having a flare but the bloods are normal. They may not be raised - but there are lots of other tests that are far more specific to RA. 

• Posted

PS, should have added - CRP may be raised in severe OA but the ESR is usually normal. But MAY doesn't mean it always is.
    • Posted

As I have often said, my rheumy told me (over 10 months ago) my PMR was in remission - that's why I joined the PMR Forum - and thank God I did!  I was completely alone with the disease for nearly 3 years.  I wanted to know why I still had all the symptoms of PMR, but that it was in remission (you explained that very clearly, and I relaxed - I wasn't a freak after all)!!!

I am dealing with the PMR pretty well now.  I can cope with the shoulder and arm pain quite well.  If I could get over the fatigue I'd be a very happy bunny.  They have all sorts of sleeping pills, why can't someone come up with waking up pills??

Now I have lots of trouble with my ankles and hips.  The daft thing about it is that I can move my hips very well, they only hurt when I walk.  This CAN'T be RA can it?  It sounds more like OA.

• Posted

They both do damage to the hip joint and so cause pain but I've always thought RA hurt all the time if you were having a flare. This is a forum for RA people - they're the experts here so we'll appeal to them for help!

But plain and simple bursitis may only hurt when you walk - mine didn't hurt otherwise but standing or walking was agonising. And ankles can hurt because you're walking wrong for another reason. Dare I use the word Bowen again? wink Have you tried it? I can't remember...

• Posted

Bowen, not yet, but have located one only 24 kms from here.  I'm certainly going to give it a whirl.

Ankles not due to walking oddly.  They are VERY swollen and excessively sore, walking, sitting and lying (they also throb in the night).

• Posted

I have RA, my CRP was elvated in the beginning, but has been normal for a while. My ESR has always been normal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.