RA pain help/suggestions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone, today is not a good day at all, I've been diagnosed with RA for about 4 months im.currently on MTX, prednisone, celebrex, tremadol, and folic acid, and today I'm in a lot of PAIN can't sit comfortable at all my leg has shooting pains going up and it and ito getting me very ill and frustrated, any advice on how to deal with the pain? I've tried walking, I've tried sitting etc etc non stop shooting pains, my rheumys office is closed on weekends, I've taken celebrex and prednisone today not helping

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you are in the U.S.  You should be able to get hold of a doctor or rheumy on call.  

good luck!

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your bad day Chris, pain is alwful and it's the not knowing when it's going to go that gets to us. When I had a bad day before my methotrexate days ( a couple of months ago) I used to soak in a lovely warm bath with Epsom salts in, it really did help and then just get an early night, hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Chris

which country are you in?

in the uk the usual procedure is if the methotrexate hasn't made a difference after 12 weeks then they add another dmard( eg sulfasalazine) Actualy recent research shows its best to tackle newly diagnosed RA aggressively with 2 or 3 DMARDS right from the beginning as there is a window of opportunity in the first 2 years after diagnosis to really hold the disease back.

it sounds to me that you need to see your rheumy and ask what more they will do. I ended up having a biologic ( Rituximab) after 9 months of pain and increasing immobility.That has made a significant improvement including fatigue.

sorry that doesn't help you with the question of what to do about the pain right now- can only suggest heat( or cold  as some find that helps) 

But do expect they can do more to help you than currently.

i have found arthritis research uk  and NRAS websites very helpful and informative . 

• Posted

Rowbirdie, thank you for your response I'm in the U.S I talked to my rheumy last week on the phone which I explained to her the meds are not working she told me to stay on the MTX until our next appt (august 11th) and she was then going to start me on biologics

• Posted

That s brilliant news Chris!

glad you have a system over there which shortcuts the need to try less expensive things first as so many people find a significant difference with a biologic .

do you keep a diary of your symptoms? I ve found that helpful in giving objective feedback when I ve been given a new med. 

Hope your rheumy can also advise in the short term while waiting for the biologic.all the best.

• Posted

It won't help you today but for the future you may want to try some of the things that have helped me:   paracetamol, turmeric and MSM.   They don't stop the pain, just shave a little off the top.

• Posted

That's why we are usually also prescribed painkillers....to tide us over till the meds take effect. Paracetamol should help, as will others. Just don't stop with them.

• Posted

Hi Chris.  So sorry to hear about your bad day.  Just try to stay quiet and rest.  If your stomach can stand it, take some ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.  I usually take an Excedrin in the morning to get me going and ibuprofen or naproxen sodium before bed to help stop the pain from waking me up during the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.