RA symptom?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,  I have been diagnosed. With RA 6 mos.  ago .  I was in extreme pain before the Plaquenil and methx. took effect.  Now I am in some pain most days but it is tolerable as long as I take my meds.  One thing I wanted to ask is, is it a RA symptom to be exhausted and tired every day, especially in the morning.  I sleep about 9-10 hrs. & most days take about an hour nap.  I am on other Meds besides the RA. Ones: blood pressure, cholesterol, anti-depressant  and folic acid and vitamin D.  I am 68 yrs. old.  Is this pretty normal?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

When I read your question I smiled to myself because it reminded me of the one time I rang the RA support line no. I'd been given, was not long after I'd been diagnosed, as I was just so tired and was getting a bit puffed just walking from the lounge to the kitchen. The RA nurse just laughed and replied..."didn't you realise that's how you can get when you have RA?" Well no I didn't actually....that was why I was asking if it was normal. I know pain and stiffness can be worse in the morning. Sounds good that you get 9-10hrs sleep. I keep waking up at silly times....3,4,5am despite going to bed usually no later than 11- ish so I'm often feeling tired during the afternoon or early evening. If I feel the need to have a nap in the day then I have one but this was something I used to fight as it seemed so wrong sleeping in the day. You do have to learn to make adjustments and to listen to your body and do what's right for you. I too am on Plaquenil, tabs for cholesterol and high blood pressure and recently put on a beta blocker... which alone causes tiredness. I often wonder just what side effects are caused by the mix of tablets we have to take. I hope things settle down for you as you adjust to your meds.

• Posted

Yes it is, as far as I know. Only it shouldn't last over too long a period. Both PMR and RA are often accompanied by fatigue attacks in the morning.

I'm the same age as you, not in full tme employment, so my time is my own.

When I fel like crashing, I crash.

• Posted

Dear maryann, I'm so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. To answer your question, it is quite common to feel so tired. I'm afriad fatigue is part of the deal. My suggestion to you is to visit the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society's website. www.nras.org.uk

It is a patient led charity and full of advice and information about RA. The Health Unlocked forums have an NRAS community that would also be beneficial to you as all the members have RA among other conditions, so know what they are talking about. Hope you find some support and advice from either of these websites.

poemsgalore x

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.  Now I don 't feel so "lazy".
  • Posted

They say it is.I feel absolutely zonked out sometimes.I know I am alot of drugs but feel so out of it at times.A lay down for an hour does help so hope it will help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.