RA symptoms are coming through now while on Steriods

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on prednisolone now for a number of weeks and It's been brillant but now it seems I am getting used to the dose. (20mg daily)

I have to decrease I again down to 15 then 10 etc every 2 weeks. I start methotrexate after my hols on the 3rd August and I am dreading feeling so ill again. I can't stay on it for much longer tho as it's not good to be on it for too long. Has anyone else managed to feel some relief from symptoms through meth alone? I am so worried I won't be able to look after my baby boy again.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was given same dose as you Michelle and am still on that dose 3 years later.I begrudingly accepted it as I couldnt even get out of bed or lift covers.I started off on a drip in hospital for 5 days then was released with same dose as you.then a long time after that was put on methotrexate which was great until consultant highered and it effected my liver.I have tried lots of differerent drugs but nothing helps much.At present am on sulfasalazine and still struggling in pain.I have been on 450mg of pregabalin all time too.They said they would get me off the steroids but nothing has helped to replace it. I wish you well but take things easy and accept peoples help with your little boy.
    • Posted

Hi France's

Sorry to hear your still suffering and In pain. It's seems hard to find a drug that works and it's a lot of trial and error. So far Steriods have worked well for me but I do think I am getting used to them and the RA is pushing its way through again. I have enjoyed feeling well and been able to get about and sleep without any pain and stiffness. I remember just how bad I was and really don't want to be there again. 😖

• Posted

You could look into the margaret hills diet she also has a website a good book of hers is "Curing Arthritis the drug free way". I know there will be plenty of people saying it doesn't work etc but I think it's better to try something yourself and don't expect an overnight cure it could take anything from a few months to 18 months things get worse before they get better and you have to follow the plan she has helped thousands of people and has a clinic, run now by her daughter. Try it yourself, best of luck ;-)
    • Posted

I should have added I am not recommending you stop your medication but read her books yourself if you think it's for you then book an appointment and start the regime.
  • Posted

So glad you are feeling much better and soon to have a holiday.

I've come  to realise everyone ' journey ' with RA is different - especially reading different contributions on here.

My GP said  methotrexate does work for many especially if the RA is mild to moderate, but it takes some weeks to work. Also it is the usual first step in holding back the disease - if it doesn't work enough the dose can be increased or other drugs added. I don't believe they will leave you struggling while the mxt has a chance to work and would modify your prednisolone dose if need be. But it is a stop gap.

Theres kind of no way round starting the mxt. It s the first step to treating the disease. The steroid helps the symptoms only. All the best when you take it that this works for you. Let us know how you get on.keep in touch with your rheumy nurse so they really know what s working and what s not.

Sometimes it's a longer journey than we think to find meds that work but I found advice from them useful when it seemed things weren't going right. Their guidelines say they must treat RA early and as aggressively as possible so we must let them know if something is working or not or if we need them to try something further.

• Posted

The Steriods have felt like a small miracle I was surprised how well they worked and how quickly. I am really apprehensive about the methotrexate but I have been told it's the best treatment to help slow down RA progression. I just hope it works for me and I will let you know. I was told to take it on a day where I had someone home with me the following day as I may be very Nauseus and groggy. Fingers crossed! 😖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.