Racing heart after eating

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

So I have suffered from anxiety since my first panic attack at 14. I'm now 36. My symptoms are generally the same...racing heart. I had my heart evaluated by a cardiologist about 8 years ago after and episode of SVT post surgery. My heart rate got up to 180 bpm for about an hour. Anyway they did not find anything wrong with my heart at that time. Just thought it might have been both stress and a reaction to whatever they gave me to wake up from the procedure. I've continued to have panic attacks over the years, with my heart rate rising into the 130's typically. It will usually go down once i relax a bit. Recently i have been having more and more panic attacks. I used to only get them when i was freaked out by something, but I've started getting them about 20 minutes to an hour after eating. I can eat very little and my heart rate will rise to about 115-111 while sitting(I check it on my apple watch). I feel hot and anxious and it usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half to subside. Does anyone else experience this with eating? I'm looking at making an appointment next week with my GP, and no doubt a cardiac referal will likely follow, but I just wanted to see if this happened to anybody else. Sorry this is so long, but a lot of info to cover. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well it happened to me a few times, but it dosent happen all the time..I noticed if what I have eaten has a high sugar content,it will raise my anxiety, and my heart will beat faster..mayby its what you are eating,...just a thought...x

• Posted

Hi

I do sometimes have mild anxiety after eating but it is after eating junk food containing high sugar levels and chocolate. I drink decaffeinated tea and coffee to avoid the caffeine effects but chocolate also contains caffeine and I've been eating a lot recently so feel naff most days. Maybe you are taking in more caffeine than you realise, this can raise anxiety levels.

• Posted

Hi

I think you should avoid spicy and chilly food. It happen to be but if I didn't drink my Meds for heart. 34

• Posted

Hi there, emilyanne22, sounds like you need something to help settle the stomach, from allergic reactions, intolerance, in other words a immune system response that cause inflammation and other reactions. I would start with smoothing tea like chamomile in the morning to help calm yourself or even at night before bed. Bone broth, organic low sodium 95mg to 115mg per cup is packed with some nutrition to help heal the stomach lining. Also try to stay with more liquid foods, you may have to blend up your meats and eat it that way, or get baby food already made to help ease the problems till, you heal your stomach and other problems over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.