racing heart in the middle of the night wakes me

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been having episodes where i wake up in the middle of the night with my heart racing. Its a steady beat, not erratic and it is usually 100-115 beats per minute. They last 3-15 minutes. No other symptoms just the heart going faster and at a steady pace. I have no notices of afib on apple device or fitbit. They happened 1-2 times a week starting late October and are now happening almost nightly. I have read on menopause boards this can be common but it is really scaring me. Does anyone have any issues like this and did it turn out to be menopause symptoms, a heart issue or anxiety? I have gone to the cardiologist and currently and 14 days into a event monitor, started anti anxiety meds which greatly have helped and cut down episodes. I get a ton of blood tests end of the week as the dr is testing thyroid, hormones, adrenals, etc.

Thank you for any responses:)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello K10215 . I had this same problem 6 yrs ago when i entered peri menopause. It also scared the living daylights out of me. I would wake up in the middle of the night suddenly with racing heart followed by panic attacks. I also would have them during the day. My dr recommended i do this to slow down my heart rate. Take a deep breath in with out exhale, then plug your nose with your fingers, bear down chin to chest, then hold it for 10 seconds while closing your eyes. Do this 3 times. I found it worked wonders for me. Also take magnesium. Just know it will pass in time. Praying for you. If you need someone to talk to just message me. God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.