Racing thinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have racing thoughts?  I started having racing thoughts almost instantly from taking an antipressant.  After spending 20 days on Effexor then changed to Citalopram for 45 days each day worse than the day before.  Without help from my doctor, he didn't even want to listen to me, I have support from family and friends to get off this drug.  I cut back and want my brain chemicals to balance on there own!!  I am left with racing thinking - it is energy draining, crazy thinking.  Has anyone gone through this and how did you stop the racing thinking?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I had racing thoughts wen I first started citalopram then in time they settled down but u have to give the meds time to work...I've been on them 11 weeks now at 20mg dose and I have improved.. still have bad days mind you but just waiting for anxiety and depression to lift so can get back to the way I was 6 month ago...hope everything works out for you..take care
  • Posted

I found 20mg of Citalopram a day a blessing. It made me see the world a funnier place to be in. It did me no harm at all, though at times it made me think that i was joining other peoples conversations from a distance, and i was laughing at their facial movements, strange. I stopped taking them because i thought i needed a higher dose, as they can be additive.

• Posted

Not so long ago Dianned. I started to take them because i thought my head was going to explode, when my father had too abusive due to dementia and started to threaten my family, what with phoning me non stop 24 hrs a day, which made me make errors at work, and i could`nt handle it.

• Posted

It was a weird experience to go on, as i thought the pills was going to make me a der der, but it was okay.
  • Posted

Hi Dianned,

Firstly Citalopram is not an addictive medication. You have side effects taking them, in between and when you gradually reduce them anything either side of this will make you feel worse, your thoughts will be all over the place and yes, you may even imagine they're addictive, but they are not!

That is why you should try and go with it. It is a sticking plaster for the brain and as we are all so, individually different then we may or may not experience side effects, or the same as others, nor to the level or intensity as others may do. Cita causes anxiety (which I don't think I really had) to start treating it! So be it, it has all been part of mending me mentally and as a person.

I first came here last Nov/Dec with work related stress starting on 10mg after my Doctor and partner, at last convinced me, I needed more help than from a bottle and the odd smoke (well I had no support from my work!). I finally realised that I was on the edge of a darf place and I was ruining my health. I knew, for me and those that love me, I had to do the right thing.

Five months down a very bumpy road, with some hairpin bends and rollercoastesr of emotions I am on 40mg and the ride is pretty smooth now. Being here certainly helps with gaining or giving advice, tis good for the soul either way! I had a bit of a downer yesterday evening, but I have come to expect and accept this will still happen now and again.

I still get the odd stupid or racing thoughts, of any kind you can think of, I just shake me head and take it as a fairly natural brain past-time - it does help to discuss them with someone close (or here!) if you are concerned. And you will be, because that is what happens to all of us and therefore where else would you go for help, advice, a chat or just a hug?!

My Doctor, who fortunately knew a lot about Cita before I started, will consider how I am progressing in a couple of months and then it will be (if I am going along ok-ish) a very gradual process of reducing me meds back down to 10mg, whoi knows even stop them. I don't know, she doesn't know because, as I said we are all wonderfully different! I may have to stay on 10mg. I have taken advise from a wonderful fellow forumer and looked up 5-HTTP as a natural support when I do reduce/come off.

So, my friend, try looking ahead through all the crap and see if you can see the other side, you may not as yet, but it is worth having a goal to aim for when we get better.

Take care and keep in touch, you're in the right place!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Oops! In case you are wondering, Cita does not effect your grammar or spelling where it says "darf" read "dark" and where it reads "whoi" it should have been "who". This is just a side effect of a (bad) secondary education back in the old days!
  • Posted

Thanks David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.