Racing thoughts!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. I've been on citalopram for 5 weeks now. Two of those weeks at 20mg.

I feel that I am getting better in the sense that I can go about my day and do more things but I feel like I have voice in my head constantly picking up on everything I'm doing. Like when I do anything it's like it's telling me to stop because it's to normal and it doesn't feel real when I'm doing it. I'm smiling and laughing and going about my day but it doesn't seem real. 

Can someone relate. Will this improve with the citalopram? Xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm exactly the same, I've been on sertraline for 5 weeks, I just want my thoughts to shut up, it's like carrying a annoying child around with you all day. I have depersonalisation so my reality is distorted anyway, but hopefully medication is gonna help us! I feel very slowly getting better!

• Posted

I'm hoping that it'll get better in a couple of weeks. It makes me feel so miserable. Do you have any strategies for blocking it out? Xx

• Posted

Mine come and go, I ruminate alot in my head that drives me nuts lol just have to bare with it and distract yourself. I know, easier said then done.
    • Posted

Well I took my son to and from school today and I washed up and cleaned the kitchen which is good for me. But I think because it's a 'normal' thing I used to do the intrusive thoughts were so loud. Like a little voice doubting everything I do xx

• Posted

Hi Rox,

I have had this too, a bit like I felt I couldn’t have a day where I could function properly but my body proved me wrong. Sorry if that makes no sense! 

This has improved for me, I started citalopram on July 1st and it took about 8 weeks for me to feel a bit more myself again and it has kept improving since x

• Posted

My body is the same. I can physically do things but the whole time it's like something is in my head doubting everything and like it's not real what I'm doing.  Please tell me that the negative thoughts get less and the thoughts get quieter? Xx

• Posted

I’m feeling the exact same way! I feel like it’s slowly getting better and I keep reading since it is slowing down it will start working more. Hang in there!!!
    • Posted

The thoughts have definitely become quieter for me and some days they aren’t there at all. It is a long process but keep going, it’s important to remember that we will have bad days. It’s a marathon not a sprint but we are doing the right things x
    • Posted

Do you think it's the anxiety that could be making me have this constant thought or the low mood? I'm struggling to pinpoint it xx

• Posted

It definitely could be the anxiety making you feel that way, from my counselling sessions I have been able to recognise that I doubt myself a lot and always have done. That’s partly why it happens when I’m in a vulnerable anxious state. I keep a journal too which helps me pin point what triggers could be x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.